An Arrival, A Strange Girl, and an Inn

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Carl
"The Eye of the World"
PC: Callum al'Thalda

Re: An Arrival, A Strange Girl, and an Inn

Post by Carl » January 27th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Callum smiled and nodded, "Ready as I'll ever be," he replied, wiping the sweat on his palms off and indicating that they should start forward.

"So, how long have you been at the Tower then?" he asked, wanting to keep the friendly conversation going while they walked. it would help with his nerves. Said nerves had not only his palms sweating, but also his stomach tied up in knots, and filled with butterflies all at the same time. He had no idea what to expect upon arrival, and the entire idea of such a radical change in his life had him scared fairly well witless.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » February 2nd, 2022, 11:13 pm

Kalyan Rihera
Kalyan walked beside the other man, keeping his pace slow enough to allow Callum to look around Hama Valon if he wanted. With nothing he needed to do other than dropping the laundry off, the Dedicated didn't see any reason to hurry. He smiled at Callum's question and for once, didn't answer right away. This was because he had to think about it, having been at the Grey Tower for long enough that the years seemed to have run together in his memory.

He let himself recall his time as a Soldier, his earlier years as a Dedicated, and finally came up with a number. "Eleven, I think....might be twelve," he muttered, still not entirely sure and feeling rather foolish for it. Looking at the other man, Kalyan explained, "Once you've been at the Tower for a few years...it's easy to lose track of just how long it's been."

To change the subject, he asked with genuine interest, "So what did you do when you were living in Whitebridge?" He loved learning about other people's lives, and if the other man had more questions about life in the Tower, Kalyan wouldn't mind answering them either, if he could.

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » February 4th, 2022, 7:13 am

Callum gave Kalyan a bewildered smile when he couldn't seem to recall how long he'd been at the tower, but then nodded along with the given explanation. "That makes sense. I'm sure there's a lot to learn, and plenty of things to do for those higher in rank. It has to be a bit bewildering."

When he asked about his life in Whitebridge, Callum felt a bit of a pang of sadness, and his smile faltered a bit. "I've spent pretty much my entire life working in a weavers shop. I was adopted as a baby, and my parents owned the shop. They passed quite recently, and I found another shop and sort of just carried on. I didn't even have a real plan for where my life was going to go from there..." he said, letting himself trail away there at the end.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 11th, 2022, 11:24 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
Kalyan blinked in surprise, regretting having asked what he'd thought to be an innocent question. "I'm sorry," he told the other man. "I didn't mean to pry." For a few moments, the Dedicated looked ahead of them to where the Grey Tower could be seen rising over the city. Then he commented, "If you're a weaver, though, that might be helpful while you're learning to channel. What we do with the One Power is similar to weaving, so I've heard. Never tried it myself."

He smiled then, hoping his thoughtless question hadn't upset Callum too badly. "Maybe you were always meant to come here," Kalyan offered.

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » February 12th, 2022, 7:10 am

Callum considered these words and fell silent for a few moments as he did so. He hadn't thought of that, but as they said, 'The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills', and who was he to say that this wasn't exactly what the Wheel had had in mind for him all along. His slight frown and vacant expression lifted, and he smiled. "You know, you just may be right!" he said and clapped the other man on the shoulder.

"Now, let's get to the tower and get me signed up!" he added with a broad grin.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 18th, 2022, 11:11 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
Kalyan returned the smile and led the way. As they walked, the Tower in the distance seemed to grow closer until the two of them were finally standing at its gates. The Dedicated paused there, taking a moment to look up at the building above. The Grey Tower wasn't an especially attractive building, at least to Kalyan's eyes, but it was home to him now, and he was always glad to return. "Well, here we are, " he said to Callum, turning his attention towards the other man. "Your home for many years to come."

"You'll want to get your horse settled in the stables, and I need to get that sack to the laundry. But other than that, do you want me to show you around some, or would you rather go right to the Master of Soldiers?"

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » February 19th, 2022, 12:36 am

Callum looked at the building rising above him. He felt a sense of foreboding, knowing that his entire life was about to change, just as soon as he walked through the gates and signed his name in the books as a Soldier. His hands were tightened on the reins of the horse, and he had to force himself to take a steadying breath and unclench them.

"I think I'd like to get the process started. I'm sure there'll be plenty of time for a tour if you don't mind..." he said, letting his words trail away at the end.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 24th, 2022, 10:58 pm

Dedicated Kalyan
Kalyan nodded and said, "Let's get your horse settled first, and and then I'll show you to the Master of Soldiers' office." The Dedicated led the way to the stables, and as they walked along the short path towards it, told Callum, "You might not get much free time to ride, but the stablehands will take good care of him for you." Once they arrived, Kalyan retrieved the sack of laundry and wrapped his arms around it. He spent a little time shifting it around until it was less awkward to carry, then looked at Callum and asked, "Ready to head inside?"

Carl
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Carl » March 12th, 2022, 7:50 pm

Callum nodded, after giving a deep sigh. "Ready as I'll ever be," he said with a nervous smile. It was the beginning of a whole new, far more challenging part of his life and he was both anxious to get started with it, and also incredibly unsure what to expect. All he knew was that he felt in his soul that he was prepared for whatever came from this point forward, and he'd meet it all head-on.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik