Chasing Storms, attn: Roan

When channelers need to channel and don't want to risk breaking the Tower into a million pieces, this is where they go.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: Chasing Storms, attn: Roan

Post by Alianora » December 19th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Liaran
The next day found Liaran eagerly awaiting the arrival of her free study time, even more than she usually did. Her novice classes and her own lessons seemed to drag on through the day. When it was finally time for her to meet the Aes Sedai in the Channeling Yard, Liaran was ready to run down the steps of the Tower. Only her knowledge that that was not appropriate behavior stopped her from actually doing so. She couldn't run, but she could hurry and the Accepted did, bursting out the doors of the Tower. She looked up at the sky, pleased to see that it was bright and sunny out, much better than yesterday for Cloud Dancing.

Her walk to the Channeling Yards was a bit slower than she had been inside the Tower, mostly because there were far more people outside than there had been yesterday. Still, the Accepted hurried as fast as she could until she reached the Channeling Yards and saw the Aes Sedai awaiting her. Liaran slowed herself down further as she walked through the Channeling Yards, curtsying to the other woman once she'd reached the somewhat more isolated area the Aes Sedai seemed to have chosen for her lesson.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » January 2nd, 2017, 9:11 pm

Tia Tomosan
Tia acknowledged Liaran with a small nod as the Accepted approached, “I am going to put a ward around us so that what we do does not affect those near by. Most of what we do today would be fine without the ward, but just in case something goes sideways, then it is contained.

“Don’t worry. . .I’ll make sure neither of us are injured,” Tia reassured the young woman, not certain if it was needed.

“We’ll start with clouds as a first step today, and most of what we do will build upon everything else. To generate a cloud, you will need threads of Air, Water and Earth. The thread of Earth is to give the cloud ‘substance’ of a sort,” Tia explained as she embraced Saidar and pulled together the threads of Air and Water first, before pulling in the smallest amount of Earth she could. When she was done, a cloud formed just above their head, and Tia looked to her student, “Hopefully, this will not prove too difficult.”

The Aes Sedai offered a warm smile as she dropped the threads, “I’ll do it again, but this time, slower so you can get a better look. Then, I want you to try and duplicate what I do.” True to her word, Tia slowly wove together Air, Water and a bit of Earth to form another cloud. This one was a little bigger, and as she held the weave she looked to Liaran and nodded, “Your turn.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 9th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Liaran
Liaran's dark eyes looked up at the sky above them, attempting to follow the Aes Sedai's weaves. Making clouds was one of the many weaves that her people did not concern themselves with, so it was entirely new to Liaran. The cloud came together above her head in a puff of white, fast enough that Liaran could not have identified what was used to make it if Tia Sedai hadn't told her before beginning. The Accepted blinked up at it, trying to pick out the individual threads which made up the cloud, but before she could, the Aes Sedai dropped the weaves, explaining that she would demonstrate more slowly this time. It was far easier for Liaran to see what she was doing at the slower speed, and the weave seemed to be fairly simple.

The Accepted hoped that it would be as easy as it appeared to be as she began her own attempt at a cloud. She began by pulling several of the deep blue strands of Water, something that always came to her with no difficulty. The white threads of Air came next, and although it took her a bit more time to collect them, Liaran thought she had managed well enough. The last part of the weave called for Earth, which Liaran was well aware was not a strength for her. It seemed as if it should be easy enough to pull just a little of it, but somehow Liaran seemed to keep taking what she thought was too much, dropping the Earth weaves while attempting to not drop the Air and Water waiting for Earth to complete it. On her fourth attempt with Earth, the Accepted lost patience and forced what she had into her Air and Water. To her surprise, the cloud held but what formed in front of her was far more grey than the Aes Sedai's work, looking more like a rain cloud than the perfectly white cloud that Tia Sedai had shown her. Liaran scowled at it, not pleased with her work. "Is that still too much Earth?" she asked. She was fairly certain that that was her error, but wanted to be sure before restarting.

Roan

Post by Roan » January 28th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Tia Tomosan
It came as no surprise the Accepted struggled with the Earth component of forming a Cloud. Traditionally, most women were weak with Earth. Even Tia struggled with weaves of Earth, though less so when they were incorporated into Cloud Dancing. She gave the Liaran a small shrug, "Your cloud may be a bit darker than mine, but it is still a cloud. Do not be so critical of your attempts if they do not perfectly match my results. Keep in mind I have more experience, and. . .I've always had an affinity for Cloud Dancing. I suspect the more you practice, the easier it will come to you.

"You'll get more practice today, as we will build upon that exercise with the next one. We'll create another cloud, but instead of letting it hold its moisture, we will get it to rain. Once you are able to make it rain, I'll show you how to turn it to snow. I'll do what I did before...show you the weave as I would do it, and then do it more slowly so you can see how I pull it all together."

The Aes Sedai started once again with threads of Water, Air and Earth to make a cloud. She added a bit more Water and Earth until rain began to fall from the cloud. It was several feet away from the pair, so they didn't get wet from the shower. Tia lookd to Liaran and offered a smile, "Again, but slower." As she dropped her initial weave, and then repeated it more slowly, she exaggerated her movements. With the thread of Earth, she made it thicker than before, then added another weave of Water, and another until the cloud began to rain. Once more she let go, and repeated the motions, and then looked to her student, "Now it is your turn. In this instance, being a little heavy on earth could work in your favor. Add a bit more water until it starts to rain.
Spoiler: show
Sorry for the delay. Real Life ate me.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 2nd, 2017, 10:55 pm

Liaran
As she had done with her first cloud, Liaran began with threads of Water, then added an equal number of threads of Air. It seemed easier to work with the Air threads this time, and she suspected the reason was that she was becoming more familiar with the weaves. Familiarity did not help her when it came time to add Earth, and the Accepted found herself continuing to struggle with it. After some time. she had managed to add three threads of Earth to her cloud, smaller than the ones she'd included in her first attempt. Liaran stopped her work for a minute, gazing at the cloud and attempting to judge her own work. It was white this time, if still tinged with grey, but far closer to the result she'd expected to achieve with the first cloud.

Having decided that the cloud was good enough, Liaran began to work on the second part of her task. This time she started with the Earth thread. This attempt was slightly less difficult, as Liaran didn't worry this time about taking too much. She settled for the first thread she could find and wove it into her cloud, which began to look ominously dark. With the hardest part done, the Accepted began to add water to her cloud. She wasn't sure how many to use, and by the time she finished working, the cloud appeared to be somewhat thinner to her, but it was raining lightly.Perhaps I used too much Water, she thought, wondering why her cloud seemed so much less substantial than the Aes Sedai's. Liaran let it continue to sprinkle as she turned to the Aes Sedai and waited to see what her instructor thought.

Roan

Post by Roan » February 10th, 2017, 12:25 am

Tia Tomosan Sedai
Tia nodded, “You’ve got the hang of it. With more practice, you’ll find the right balance of Air, Water and Earth. Our next exercise will build on this, as we’re going to attempt to make it snow. You start off with a cloud, and threads of water until it starts to rain, then continue to add threads of water to bring the temperature down. Watch.”

The Aes Sedai hadn’t let go of Saidar, thus didn’t hesitate to start pulling together threads of Air, Water and Earth to form the cloud. She then pulled in more thin threads of water, “With each thread, the temperature will drop until. . .” she paused as she added two more threads of water, and what had been rained turned to snow.

The grin came easily to Tia, as she looked up to the Accepted, “When you add more Water, your threads don’t have to be as thin as mine. I just fine it allows me to control the temperature drop a bit easier.

“I’ll do it again, but like last time, I’ll do it slower so it is easier for you to follow,” she replied as she let the weave drop. A moment later, she pulled the threads together to create the initial cloud and rain, then spun in the thin threads of water until snowflakes started to fall. She dropped the threads and gave a nod, “Your turn. Let’s see what you can do.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » February 19th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Liaran
Liaran wove her Air and Water threads together more quickly on this third attempt, forming a puffy, white cloud that would not have been out of place in a summer sky. She smiled at her success even as she began to fight for control of the Earth threads she needed to complete the first part of her task. With some effort, she worked the dark brown threads into the rest of her weave, taking the cloud from a bright white color to the dull grey of a raincloud. She was relieved when the weave stayed together, allowing her to continue her work by adding Water.

As she forced Water into it, her cloud took on the same thin look that her previous attempt had had, and thought it did begin to rain, the Accepted was not certain that the cloud could take enough Water to make it snow without completely falling apart. She frowned at it for a minute before deciding that it just didn't seem to have enough Earth, and added another thread. The rain slowed, and the cloud darkened further, but the Accepted thought she might able to finish the weave with the required Water. Quickly, she pulled two small threads and added them, and rain began to pour from the cloud. Liaran sighed, took a breath, and added another.

The rain slowed down again, and at first, Liaran did not think it had worked. It took a few seconds before she thought she saw snowflakes mixing in with the rain. To test whether she was correct, the Accepted thrust a hand beneath the cloud, but quickly pulled back from the cold. Looking down, Liaran could easily see a few snowflakes against her dark skin, and another look at her work revealed that the cloud was now producing only snow. She smiled, then shivered as she wiped the snowflakes from her hand, using her sleeve. "I'd forgotten just how cold snow is," she commented. "Until I came to the Tower I'd never seen any."

Roan

Post by Roan » March 3rd, 2017, 11:13 pm

Tia Tomosan Sedai
Tia rewarded the Accepted a warm smile, “Snow is definitely cold. . .and wet. Though, I still find it beautiful. I love the silence that seems to envelop an area when it snows heavily. It’s almost like being within an eavesdropping ward.”

The Aes Sedai shifted a bit, “I should point out that you can alter the weave such that you produce only ice.” She demonstrated by producing a thicker weave of water that she then wrapped in smaller weaves of air before bundling the entire thing in another sheath of water. About three feet away from the pair, a spike of ice thudded into the ground. “I’ll let you practice that one in your own time.

“I’d like to finish with lightning. This one. . .I will strongly advise you practice with an Aes Sedai near by. If it goes wrong, the consequences can be very high. Always aim for the furthest point away from others in the channeling yard,” Tia explained.

“Lightning consists of weaves of air touched with a hint of water, and when you’re ready to cast the bolt, fire,” Tia said and then demonstrated. This time, she did it slowly from the start. As she added fire, the bolt struck down a split second later, along with the deafening boom of thunder.

She couldn’t help the small grin. Producing lightning brought her such satisfaction. Looking to the Accepted, she tilted her head slightly, “I’d also advise not practicing this one too often here, or you might get noise complaints. When I was an Accepted, I had a Blue Sedai and her Warder travel with me to an isolated part of the Mountains of Mist. It was ideal.” She paused then nodded, “Your turn. See what you can do.”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » March 12th, 2017, 3:14 am

Liaran
The weave for ice was interesting enough, and Liaran did intend to practice it on her own as suggested, but she was far more excited about lightning. She actually knew the weave already, or thought she did, but what Tia Sedai showed her was far more complex than the version used for battle that Fiona had demonstrated for her. Despite paying careful attention, she still found herself flinching as the bolt struck and thunder rumbled. It was not hard to understand why Tia Sedai mentioned not practicing here too often, though it was a bit disappointing. Not being able to practice inside the Tower grounds meant she wasn't likely to gain much experience at all with the weave for as long as she remained an Accepted.

Since she didn't expect to get much practice after the lesson, Liaran applied herself diligently to recreating the weave. The elements required were those that came to her most easily, and it didn't seem to take her much time to pull her Air threads and add thin threads of Water to the edges of what would become a lightning bolt. Liaran took a deep breath and held her threads of Fire for a moment before adding them in as well. The resulting lightning flashed across the Channeling Yards, illuminating them for just a moment before striking the ground near the edge. Thunder rumbled directly after it hit. Liaran beamed, pleased with her success. There was something enjoyable about creating lightning, even if it could be dangerous. She looked over at Tia Sedai for the Aes Sedai's input on her work, secretly hoping she'd be allowed to try it at least once more. "If I could Ward the area against sound, could I practice here?" she asked. She didn't actually know how to create that Ward, but Liaran didn't think she'd mind spending time working on it, if freedom to work with lightning would be her reward.

Roan

Post by Roan » March 18th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Tia Tomosan
Tia rewarded the Accepted with another warm smile, “Well done. I think what I’ve shown you should give you plenty to practice. Just remember that what you do to the weather here can have major implications elsewhere. Balance is important.” The Aes Sedai realized she was giving a similar talk to Liaran as a certain Asha’man had given her when she first learned of her affinity for Cloud Dancing.

Her brows went up when Liaran asked about warding against sound, and she considered the question, “I suppose you could ward against sound. I don’t see why not, and I’m sure it would give you more chances to practice. There are some Aes Sedai who are willing to take Accepted to remote parts of the Mountains of Mist too, which is what I did. I kind of liked hearing the thunder echo off of the valley walls, though.”

A bell tolled off in the distance, and Tia looked towards the sound before looking back to the Accepted. “Unfortunately, I must be off, as my presence is required elsewhere. Keep practicing when you can, and good luck with it, Accepted.” She inclined her head before she strode away from the Channeling Yards and onto her next appointment.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik