Snow Day (open)

Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds. Birds sing in the trees which line the wide paths between beautiful flower beds and serene lakes. There are benches to sit and listen to the waterfall, and there is neatly trimmed grass to lie on and rest. Novices and Soldiers as well as Warders in Training can be seen, sweeping the stone paths as Accepted and Dedicated study from books and relax under leafy trees.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Snow Day (open)

Post by Alianora » September 15th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Kalyan Rihera, Soldier
Kalyan should have been studying, but the snow blanketing the Tower ground had been far too inviting for the Soldier to attempt it. Instead, after class, he'd headed straight to the gardens to take a walk while he had the chance. The undisturbed snow sparkled where it still covered the flower beds, the paths through them the only part of the gardens that had been cleared. Kalyan smiled as he looked around. It wasn't the time of year for flowers, nor for most of the trees, but the snow was pretty in its own way. He paused for a minute, admiring the way the icicles dangling from a tree branch shone, then continued on to his favorite part of the gardens.

The apple trees that rose above him were as barren as almost everything else, but Kalyan could still recognize them, and they still spoke to him of home. He leaned his back against one's trunk, enjoying the brief moment of peace from the Tower and the demands it made of him. He wondered if it had also snowed at his parents' home across Andor, and if his sisters were out playing in it as he'd done at their age. There was a little sadness to the thought since he couldn't be there with them, but there was happiness too as he considered the fun they would have, building with the snow and chasing each other through it.

Grinning, Kalyan recalled his own favorite activity, and he crouched down to scoop up some of the snow from around his feet. Cold stung his hands as he squeezed the snow between them, forming a rough ball of it that he held in his right hand. He stood up straight, drew his arm back, and tossed it at the closest nearby tree. The snowball flew past the tree, and Kalyan couldn't see where it had landed. This wasn't quite as much fun as it would have been at home, showing his sisters how to make snowballs, but it was definitely better than staying inside with a pile of books. He brushed some stray snowflakes from his clothing, then bent down to try again, hoping for better aim this time.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Re: Snow Day (open)

Post by Lugh » September 16th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Peyton Peyton was in good spirits, the mornings classes had finally stopped burying her with catch up work. She had poured over scrolls and scrolls by the amber light of a candle, until she was certain she had gone crossed eyed. But with the catching up accomplished, she had a few moments of respite in her schedule.

And those moments of rest, helped her work on her weaves as well. She had finally managed a few simple weaves of air and water, the dust storm of snowflakes sparkling as she recalled her success. Almost as if she was thinking of it, a snowball landed on the cobbled stones of the path. Thinking it was likely a child who had snuck away from family quarters, she scanned the trees and bushes for signs of the child, but stopped when she spotted a Soldier's black coat.

Moving around the melting snow, she was glad she had decided to wear her boots and she moved onto the grass where he was squashing another handful of snow into his hands. "Nice to see someone else is managing to enjoy the snow, although I'd aim somewhere else if I were you. Peg a Sister with one of those, and it's back to the kitchen pots," Peyton said with a smile, absently sketching a pattern in the snow with the toe of her boot.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » September 20th, 2019, 12:44 am

Kalyan
Kalyan had just finished forming a second snowball when he was startled by someone speaking to him. He jumped, turning towards the owner of the voice, and the snowball tumbled from his hands to fall to the ground. He looked at the woman, whose white dress marked her out as a novice, and returned her smile with one of his own. "Light, I hadn't thought of that," he muttered. "I was aiming for that tree over there." His head turned towards the tree he'd just mentioned, but considering the prospect of more time with the pots, Kalyan didn't dare to make another ball and try again. He tapped a foot against the ground, using the motion to shake off the snow on his pants before they got too wet.

Then he looked back at the novice, whose white dress almost made her appear to blend in with the snow. "I suppose I should thank you for warning me," he told her. "The last thing I want is to get stuck with more time in the kitchens!" He wrinkled his nose, then continued talking. "So what are you doing out here?" he asked. "I thought with the cold everyone else would be using this time to study."

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » September 22nd, 2019, 3:10 am

Peyton "Well you definitely didn't strike true with it. But I suppose no real harm would come of a snowball," Peyton said as she saw him drop his, tapping his foot against the ground.

Not wanting to make him feel bad, or kill the fun he had obviously been having, Peyton grabbed a small clump of snow and packed it together. With a small turn the other direction, she aimed for a rock jutting out of the flowerbed. It was sturdy enough to take a few hits she figured, although when she tried her aim she was embarrassed to see the snowball fall far short.

"Well that wasn't any better," she muttered, and smiled when her second snowball managed to hit the rock. Pleased, she smiled at the Soldier and shrugged to his question. "To be honest, I was avoiding racing back into the buildings. My teacher had wanted me to practice some weaves in the Channeling Yard. Something about the cold and learning to maintain the composure needed to hold Saidar. It was freezing, but I did learn a lot. And after that, I figured I would be easier to find for extra chores if I was cooped inside with everyone else."

"What about you? I would have thought the Soldiers would all be off learning how to scowl and look intimidating in their black coats," Peyton said with a gentle tease in her voice.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » September 22nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

Kalyan
Kalyan laughed and shook his head. "Can't say I've ever seen that lesson on the schedule." And if I had, I'd probably be out here skipping it anyways. Plenty of his instructors had that intimidating air about them, just as the girl had suggested, but it wasn't anything Kalyan aspired to for himself. He smiled again and said, "Nice aim with that snowball, by the way." Watching her throws had made Kalyan long to make another for himself, even if he couldn't throw them at the tree.

He squatted down, packing snow between his hands, and stood up once he was done. Tilting his head back, Kalyan tossed the ball into the air. Brown eyes tracked it as it descended, but though he held out his hand to catch it, he missed entirely. The snowball splattered onto his boot, and he shook his foot to get the snow off. The Soldier rolled his eyes and bent down to try it again. He formed another snowball, stood again to throw it, and this time, it landed in his outstretched hand, but fell apart when it struck, chunks of snow slipping through his fingers. The rest slid off when he lowered his hand to his side again, and Kalyan couldn't help but laugh at himself.

"Looks like you had the better idea," he told the novice. "Anyways, to answer your question, there's a pile of books on my desk nearly as tall as I am and I just couldn't stand to sit there and study when it's so pretty out." He winced, thinking of the evening ahead of him that was probably going to be spent with those books. He tapped his fingers idly against his leg as he explained, "They're all for this essay I'm supposed to write about the rise of Artur Hawkwing, and they're just so boring. Honestly, I don't see the point of all those lessons we have outside of the One Power. I can't see any use for most of it."

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » September 23rd, 2019, 7:23 pm

Peyton "Thanks, we had a duck pond at the farm. Long summer days watching the animals, with little to do but skip stones and daydream. Guess I learned better aim than I thought," Peyton said with a soft smile. She didn't often miss where she was from, the schedule and hectic pace of the Grey Tower kept her from being homesick; but a relaxing winter's day was always a welcome treat there.

When he groused about the tower of books waiting for him, she winced in sympathy. "Oh I know what you mean, it's hard enough trying to learn all the current Houses and High Lords, or the kings and queens of every nation. Then when they want us to know it as far as the Breaking, my mind feels like a wardrobe filled to bursting," she complained as well, then sighing when she recalled a Brown Sister grilling their class.

If you don't know their history, how will you know why two Great Houses continue to despise each other, even to their own detriment, Peyton could practically smell the dusty scrolls as she recalled the class, but then she shook herself and cleared her mind. "Sorry, was just remembering my own essay I have to eventually scribe as well. If history isn't your thing, what is? I had originally thought Healing might be mine, but so far I have showed little knack," she said with a shrug, "but I suppose there is lots of time to figure my color out"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » September 25th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Kalyan
With a smile, Kalyan said, "I haven't given that a single thought yet. I figure I have years ahead of me before I need to start thinking about it. His smile widened as he added, "Though it does sound as if neither of us is likely to end up in the Brown Ajah. I mean....I don't hate history or anything, and I like reading when I choose the books. I just don't like sitting around and doing research or writing for very long."

He turned and walked towards one of the apple trees, leaning against it and gazing up at the branches. There wasn't much to see there in this weather, but Kalyan didn't mind. He could easily imagine what it would look like when spring returned and the tree grew leaves and fruit once more. Rather absently, he answered the novice's question.

"Right now, I'm learning how to Plantweave, sort of," he said. The idea of trying it on the tree behind him flashed through his mind, but along with it came all the warnings about the danger that various instructors had drilled into him. Kalyan shook his head and let their warnings echo, scaring him away from temptation. Snatching a straying hand away from the bark of the tree, he looked at the novice and explained, "I've been told that I was making plants grow before I ever came here, so I'm not learning how to do it as much as I'm practicing how to control it. I really enjoy those lessons, but who knows if it'll have anything to do with my future here or not. Some of my instructors think I'll probably end up strongest with Earth because of it, but I'm not sure about that, either."

He shrugged, smiled, and changed the subject. "So you mentioned a farm earlier, did you live there? What made you decide to come here?"

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » October 1st, 2019, 3:40 pm

Peyton That right there, is my problem thought Peyton with an annoyed tug on her braid. She knew that Kalyan hadn't meant anything by the comment, but it didn't help that it echoed advice she was getting from many of the Sisters. Aes Sedai have long lives Child, don't worry so much. There is a vast chasm between such a one as Isla Sedai and yourself, flinging yourself headlong into it won't help, she could hear the echo of the White Sister in her mind.

"Sorry.. I was distracted. But you said Plantweave? That sounds like something that would be wonderful to know. Much better than the name of some dusty old Lord," Peyton said with a smile.

Shuffling her feet, the snow growing cold on her slippers she warmed her toes as she listened to Kalyan more intently. "Well it makes sense I suppose, plants and the soil are pretty tied together after all. And you were a Wilder.." she winced as the question popped out of her mouth, belatedly realizing not everyone liked that term.

"Yes I was from a farm, to the east of Tar Valon. It was a pretty decent little town, not much happened that was too exciting. Of course, then the White Tower was destroyed, rumours of attacks and darkfriends, even the Seanchan had us in a panic. Too much of a panic to see the Whitecloaks muscling in," she said, regret touching her voice for a moment.

"But the farm itself was lovely, I probably would never have left if I hadn't crossed paths with Isla Sedai. She tested me when I came with the new group of women, and when I found out I could learn to channel... well that seemed more exciting that darning clothes and making meals for the men in the fields."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » October 6th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Kalyan
Kalyan leaned forward, standing on his feet now instead of leaning against the trunk of the tree. He stayed under the branches, still close to it as he nodded. "I think I know what you mean about it being more exciting here. My ma and da own an apple orchard outside Caemlyn, so that's where I'm from. Da was going to pass the orchard down to me in time, and I think I would have been happy with that, but when I learned that I needed to come here, I thought life here would be far more interesting."

He shrugged. "I mean, I'm learning a lot here that I didn't even know was possible back home." A grin flashed across his face as he thought back to a recent lesson when he'd held a tiny ball of fire in the palm of his hand for the first time. He was still smiling as he kept talking. " So it's not a bad life here or anything, but I'd read some stories about Aes Sedai of the White Tower, traveling through the world, having adventures and helping people, and I guess I thought living here would be more like that. I definitely didn't expect quite so many pots the size of my head. What about you, is Tower life what you thought it would be?"

He stepped forward, a little closer to the novice and away from the tree, and added, "And by the way, what's your name? I'm Kalyan Rihera." He extended a hand towards the girl.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » October 9th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Peyton took his hand gently, chuckling as they finally got around to introducing themselves. She noticed the strength in his fingers, and the rougher feel to his skin right away, no doubt a legacy of the pots as big as his head.

"Peyton Sain. It's a pleasure to meet you Kalyan," she said as she watched the wind blow flakes of snow into both their hair. She was glad for the braid in her hair, although she knew it was likely a mess of flyaways after the strain of her lessons.

"To be honest, I never thought about living anywhere else. I had the usual daydreams I guess, but for me it came suddenly. But I definitely wouldn't go back, and like you said there are things to see here that are nowhere else. I finally got to meet an Ogier, can you imagine!" she said with a burst of joy at the memory.

Crouching down, she grabbed a stick and toyed with designs in the snow. She would have loved to try it with a weave of Air, but there was no way she was going to add channeling without permission to her list of temptations. "I know I would like the chance to shop, although until I have an Accepted's stipend, there would be little enough I could buy. But I've carried some of the parcels for the Aes Sedai, and the glass work, or silks.. well it seems like Hama Valon stands at the center of everything to me. So I guess we better stop moaning, take our bitter draught and get the damn histories learned," she teased Kalyan with a jostle of her elbow. Talking with the Soldier had put her at ease in a way the tense Novice Quarters had not.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik