Thinking in the Drizzle, Musings of a new Soldier (attn: Anyone)

Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Gardens: one of the most tranquil areas of the Tower Grounds. Birds sing in the trees which line the wide paths between beautiful flower beds and serene lakes. There are benches to sit and listen to the waterfall, and there is neatly trimmed grass to lie on and rest. Novices and Soldiers as well as Warders in Training can be seen, sweeping the stone paths as Accepted and Dedicated study from books and relax under leafy trees.
Alex Tanner
"New Spring"
PC: Andrin Delmoleros - Soldier

Thinking in the Drizzle, Musings of a new Soldier (attn: Anyone)

Post by Alex Tanner » September 25th, 2021, 3:44 pm

The Gardens of the Tower were probably Andrin’s favorite place, even with the ever so slight drizzle that seemed to be hanging in the air, it was a place he could wander to get away from, well, everyone. He had only been at the Tower for a few weeks, but time had seemed to slow to a crawl, he hated it. He had come to the Tower of his own volition when he had learned of what he was but being here was a contradiction to everything that he had sworn his life to, not only as a member of the Children of the Light, but as an anointed officer in the Hand of the Light, the people who were now his superiors and teachers were supposed to be his sworn enemy.

He took a step off the path into the small, secluded thicket that he had found on one of his first wanderings of the Gardens, he liked it here it was quiet, he hadn’t come across anyone else using the spot and he was able to relax away from the sight of other channelers. He leaned against the trunk of the nearest tree and breathed deeply of the crisp, damp air, trying to find his place amongst the learning ranks of the tower was no easy task, and the less he thought about the fact that he could be assigned chores, let along expected to do them, would only do to keep his calm.

He recalled a conversation he’d had with an Aes Sedai and an Asha'man of the Yellow Ajah, he still had to remind himself not to call them witches or worse, certainly not within their hearing at least, he had been informed that he had a block of some kind, something within his mind was stopping him from channeling at will. He snorted in amusement, the one thing he did not want to do was channel, but it was the one thing that he needed to know how to do, yet it was the one thing his mind would not let him do. If he was being brutally honest with himself, however, the searing torrent of molten steel, lighting and fire of saidin was as intoxicating as it was terrifying.

He reached into the top of his shirt under his unbuttoned black Soldier’s coat and pulled out the pendant he always wore, the Golden Sun with its Red Shepard’s crook gleamed in the faint sun, the soft rain leaving droplets on its gold surface, forcing Andrin to think of, not simpler times, but times when he was more certain of his path.

The snap of a twig behind him caused him to quickly tuck the amulet back into his shirt, he had no time to button his coat, but he prayed to the Light that no one had seen the insignia on the pendent, that would attract far more questions than he was prepared to answer. So, he turned and called out in a clear strong voice, tinged with his Illianer accent that only made an appearance when he was startled or angry, that he hoped did not reveal his surprise.

“Is there someone there?”

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Thinking in the Drizzle, Musings of a new Soldier (attn: Anyone)

Post by Bella » October 14th, 2021, 11:59 pm

Isla Sedai had been out for a walk that was half-pleasure and half-duty. Although the gardens here were well planted and well tended, with an abundance of flowers, herbs and other plants that were useful to her Ajah, there was also a variety of wild plants that grew in certain areas of the gardens that were beneficial and couldn't seem to be tamed and domesticated.

That's what had brought her out today, a small basket over her arm with a small shearing nice for the wild fungi she was looking for. The slight dampness to the air felt good to her, but she always liked the outdoors. Being shut up in the infirmary for duty so often made her appreciate this all the more.

What she hadn't expected was another person.

Her pale eyes immediately snapped in the direction of the voice, stepping around the broad tree trunk she had been behind to see a man wearing the coat of a soldier. "Yes," she said, her own national accent long go by now and replaced by the slightly aloof tinge of the Aes Sedai. Her next words were a bit less cold than those who'd been at her rank longer than she, however. "I did not mean to disturb you."

Alex Tanner
"New Spring"

Post by Alex Tanner » October 27th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Light Damn it Andrin thought to himself as the woman stepped into view and he fought to keep the colour from rising in his face at being startled. He had been hoping to avoid any fully raised member of the tower for a while, he hadn’t had too many dealing with them, not that he expected that to stay the same, so far, the most of his classes had been with Dedicated not Asha’man.

Not that he liked to admit it, but the Asha’man and the Aes Sedai unnerved him slightly with their ageless looks and calm demeanor, it was as though they were able to look right through you and know your innermost thoughts with but a glance, maybe they could, he certainly did not know everything the One Power could do, he couldn’t even channel at will.

He had to stop himself from snorting, being nervous around channelers was almost like the punch line of a bad joke for a member of the Hand of the Light, how the tables had turned, he was still used to being the one that made people nervous.

He brought himself out of his silent musings and bowed low and respectfully, all the while hoping the damned pendant didn't fall into view, he continued by saying politely “Not at all Aes Sedai, my apologies for being in the way. Was there anything that I could assist you with?”

Bella

Post by Bella » November 5th, 2021, 11:46 pm

Isla supposed in a way, she had a step up on getting used to people reacting like that to her--after her childhood and who her father was--but there was still a part of her that always found it a little strange. She smiled faintly and waved a hand. "You're not in my way at present," she said. "After all, the gardens are vast. There is room enough for us all."

Her gray eyes surveyed this clearing for a moment, thoughtful, until she turned back. "I'm not sure if you can help or not. Are you very familiar with plant-life and identifying herbs and mushrooms?"

Alex Tanner
"New Spring"

Post by Alex Tanner » December 9th, 2021, 12:20 pm

Andrin bowed deeply again and said, “Thank you Aes Sedai, that’s very kind of you.”

Straightening up he thought for a moment, out of all the questions he thought that he would be asked, one about medicinal herbs and fungi was not even on the list. He knew that he only had a basic knowledge of herb-lore, even a noble bastard had no real reason to learn a trade, he knew nothing extensive, when he had joined the Children there was always the medical corps made up of professional healers to take care of the needs of the Children when on campaign, and the Hand of the Light was always granted the best of the best, they wanted for very little, something that had never truly sat well with him.

What he knew about healing was what his grandfather taught him, and some of the other cadre of old soldiers that had joined the old man in retirement, they all had a few recommendations on dealing with cuts, broken bones and dehydration, and some other less savory ailments that soldiers seemed to encounter.

“I’m afraid that I only know of a few Aes Sedai, mainly those that soldiers would know or experienced camp healers. Healall, Dogwart, Crimsonthorn and Boneknit to be precise, along with a few others to give to a horse to break a fever or bring strength back to their limbs. Other than that I never really had the need to know much more, my apologies.”

--

OOC: Sorry again for the stupidly late reply, things have been ridiculously hectic on the work front

Bella

Post by Bella » December 28th, 2021, 12:10 am

Isla offered a small smile and inclined her head. "No apology is needed, for not everyone can expected to know these things," she said smoothly. So he was a soldier, she noted from his comments. "We do have some Dogwart growing around here, however, if you happen to spot any. I'm a Yellow and we use much of what grows right here in our own gardens to treat those who need it."

She tilted her head slightly. "My name is Isla Sedai. And you are?"

Alex Tanner
"New Spring"

Post by Alex Tanner » February 3rd, 2022, 1:11 pm

Andrin was taken aback, he had not realized that the Yellow Ajah utilized natural remedies in their healing, he thought that it all came from the One Power, he bowed his head again “Absolutely Aes Sedai I will keep an eye out for some Dogwart and be sure to collect some should I see it.”

Steadying himself, talking so cordially with someone who had, until recently, been the sworn enemy of the Children of the Light, and even more so the Hand was still unsettling, he continued “I’m honored to meet you Isla Sedai, I am Andrin Delmoleros Soldier, formally of Illian.” He added the soldier part with a faint smile, his plain black, high collared coat made his rank obvious for all to see.

“I was unaware that the Yellow Ajah utilized natural healing methods, I thought that all the healing was done through channeling. My apologies if that was a childish understanding, I am yet to have any classes that deal with healing with the Power.”

Bella

Post by Bella » February 10th, 2022, 11:03 pm

What he said was very familiar to her. Very, very familiar... It brought back many unpleasant memories, but she did not shy away from them because that had been a pivotal moment in her life. A painful one, but important. A time when the entire tide of the ocean of her life had swept away from one shore to crash upon another.

"It's not childish to not know something," she assured him. "When I came here, I knew very little about the things that they did. I believe the One Power was only to destroy." To corrupt. "Then I actually came here and experienced the Yellows at work. I was amazed that they used the power to heal, and more than the One Power was used.

"So, yes, we only use channeling for severe cases that poultices and salves, tonics and bandages, cannot easily care for."

Alex Tanner
"New Spring"

Post by Alex Tanner » February 26th, 2022, 2:06 pm

Andrin nodded his head almost absentmindedly and said softly “In another life Isla Sedai those were the very words that I lived by. The Power was never meant for mankind to touch it was of the Creator and was the Creator’s alone, when mankind touched The Power it caused the corruption that became the Breaking of the World, even now it causes corruption even in those who claimed to have the purest of souls.”

He shook himself from his memories, and hoped he hadn't been heard quoting from a text favored by the Children “My apologies Isla Sedai, it is hard to break a lifetime of belief and understanding after only seeing the truth here at the Tower for a few weeks and even knowing what I am for barely a month longer.”

He thought back to what the Aes Sedai had just said, and his curiosity overcame his apprehension, which he was loath to admit was lessening, “Does that mean that the other Ajah’s utilize non-channeling methods in their individual specialties?”

He blushed faintly for speaking so far out of turn with an Aes Sedai “Forgive me Isla Sedai I have probably taken up far too much of your time already.” He bowed again, hoping that the Aes Sedai in front of him did not decide to punish him for his impudence, all the while not noticing the chain of his pendant slide on his neck.

Bella

Post by Bella » February 26th, 2022, 9:12 pm

Isla waved one hand dismissively, not in a negative way but in a "apology not needed" way along with a faint smile. What he said was oh-so-familiar to her, and she felt that sort of urge within her to help dispell those false notions. It had been such a bloody path to her own understanding that she would help anyone else avoid it as much as she could.

Before she voiced that thought, however, he bowed and she saw the pendant. Something cold seized in her chest for a moment. Another life... It may have crossed her features, as she had not been an Aes Sedai all that long, but she schooled her features to impassivity.

"It takes a long time to leave that life behind," she said, her voice lacking the threads of warmth it had before. She considered not bringing it up, but she couldn't stop herself. "There is must you must unlearn to be here." She gestured toward the chain and what it bore, all the meaning that it brought. "I don't recommend keeping that on your person."

Pausing, she straightened her posture slightly and tilted her head. "Do you know Commander Arkema?"

OOC: Arkema was a somewhat known higher-up in the Children, but it's totally up to you whether you want the name to be familiar or not.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik