It's Always Sunny in Hama Valon (Attn: Jake and Sunny)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Jake
"New Spring"
PC: Jakob Su Salza

Re: It's Always Sunny in Hama Valon (Attn: Jake and Sunny)

Post by Jake » May 28th, 2018, 4:52 am

Blinking at the oddity of the comment regarding Gaidin, Jakob barely covered his surprise and alarm with a cough into his hand. Recovering his composure as best he could, he pressed on.

"Gaidin? Lord Dax, surely you dont see unbonded warders stay that way for very long." Jakob thought hard about his next words. The man had said he was a Gaidin himself, and pointing out how insane he assumed such men to be would certainly make matters worse.

"I do appreciate the kind offer, My Lord. I'd gladly speak with the guard Captain. Perhaps one day we can ride together against a worthy foe. Preferably cavalry." Jakib nodded in satisfaction for the very thought of a cavalry charge crushing some opposing force.
It takes a special type of gift to value evil.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » May 30th, 2018, 5:34 am

Dax did not bother holding back his laugh at Jakob’s incredulous response. Almost two hundred years of existence, and still people held the Grey Tower to the same ideals as the White. In the greater scheme of things it made sense; two hundred years compared to nearly three thousand was barely a blip in a still pond.

“We do things differently here,” Dax said cheerfully. “Gaidin is a title you earn through hard work and dedication, not something you get simply by having a channeler lay their hands on you.” Thea tugged at his hand and he turned to look where she pointed. A man in a colorful hat was juggling sticks. He looked between the performer and his daughter, and realized he had no hope of separating her from the spectacle. Oh well. More time to chat.

“As for the cavalry, well.” He glanced down at the herons that decorated his wrists with a wry smile. “You keep your horse. I am more use on the ground. If the guard is what you wish, however, I’m happy to take you there. What do you know of Hama Valon?”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » May 30th, 2018, 5:44 am

Following Dax's gaze to the herons on his wrists did little for Jakobs sense of calm. He stood in the presence of a blademaster. A legendary figure and a title of which only a few dozen other men had ever truly obtained. Jakob rather preferred the lance to a sword, though he was competent with one. He knew he was far too clumsy to attain anywhere near this mans skill.

"Ah, well, yes. I find my worth from atop a saddle, My Lord. Lance in hand, you'll find I'm a very capable soldier. As for the city ive not spent much time here, Lord. I know only that it houses the Grey Tower, and that you're no friends of the Seanchan. Thus my attempt to find employment." He lightly touched the hilt of his sword to illustrate his intent.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » May 31st, 2018, 5:05 am

Dax had tried to ignore the incessant bowing and scraping from his new companion. Ferreting out Jakob’s intent had been more important than such petty complaints...but this latest spate of titles was just a little too much. He snorted a laugh despite himself. Jakob looked offended, and Dax supposed he had the right.

“I mean no disrespect to your abilities,” he assured the other man, amusement tinging his voice. “In our line of work if you aren’t a capable fighter you quickly become a very capable corpse, and that’s the truth.” He glanced down at Thea, feeling guilty about voicing that particularly dark joke in her presence, but found her attention was still fixed on the juggler.

“If you’re going to call me by a title for the sake of formality, perhaps you should use Gaidin, given it's the one I’ve actually earned,” he added, looking back to Jakob. “I am quite certain the High Lord Riatin would have an apoplectic fit -keel right over and die, even, and what a sight that would be- if he knew you were putting a gutter-bred sellsword with no table manners on level with his noble family.”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » May 31st, 2018, 5:27 am

Jakob did blink at the initial scoff, not quite sure of the man's intent behind the gesture. Such thoughts were bred into Cairhienin, after all. It was the proposal that he not be called a lord that almost made him actually gape. He didn't, of course, but it was a close thing.

"I... see." Jakob spoke carefully here, "it is simply hard to imagine a man with so many tales and outstanding deeds surrounding his name to be..." he swallowed the word, "peasant" before it popped out on it's own, though he had to cover his mouth with another cough. "Forgive me My L- uhm... Gaidin. Despite what you may think of our Lord Riatin, he is quite generous to those who carry his banner and not so terrible a man that I have known."

Craig
Librarian
PC: Ravak t'Sha'hal Darrow
SC: Elia Darrow
TC: Zarayne
QC: Farah Kattan

Post by Craig » June 5th, 2018, 12:05 am

Thea
Thea squinted over her shoulder at Dad and Jakob. They were doing that adult thing of having boring conversations and ignoring her. Why were they just standing and talking? She looked back to the man with the colourful sticks when someone approached her from the left.

"Hello there, princess." It took Thea a moment to recognise Mordjen. He was much older than Dad, with a fluffy grey beard and swirly mustaches.

"Where's your tunic?"

Mordjen grinned. "You mean my tabard? I'm off-duty today, princess." Thea frowned. "I'm not working," he explained after a pause.

"Oh! Do you like the gleeman?" She pointed towards the man and his sticks. Mordjen followed her finger.

"That's no gleeman. Gleemen have patchwork cloaks, princess."

"Oh, okay." Thea cast a glance over her shoulder again. "Still talking," she sighed.

"Who's your daddy talking to?"

"Oh, Jakob Zoo Salsa. He's under a banner. He wants to be a Tower Guard."

It was Mordjen's time to say "Oh?" Mordjen was in charge of the Tower Guard.

"Let me introduce you!" Thea grabbed hold of Mordjen's hand and led him towards Dad and Jakob.
Image Image Image Image
Craig's Tracker ❖ Librarian
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » June 5th, 2018, 1:05 am

Jakob noticed the two coming towards them, and turned to face Thea. His expression one of practiced calm only a born cairhienin could achieve.

"Good sir," Jakob inclined his head in a small bow, "has My Lady Thea waylaid you, as well?" His sudden smile flashed for only a brief moment, but it would be clear to all he was attempting to joke.

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » June 13th, 2018, 11:54 am

OOC: I'm assuming this thread is now concluded, with Jakob having an off-camera conversation with Mordjen?
Image Image Image Image
Elan wrote:Of course, the problems with observing a chain of command arise when the one in command decides to do something unspeakably idiotic, like taking off on his own for no discernible reason in the middle of enemy territory.

Jake
"New Spring"

Post by Jake » June 13th, 2018, 9:59 pm

(OOC) If you say it is, then sure. Lol so does that mean hes officially a guardsman?

Craig
Librarian

Post by Craig » June 18th, 2018, 10:23 am

OOC: That's up to you. If you want to be, then yes. If you want to make life more difficult for Jakob, that's up to you as well.
Image Image Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik