Sobering up with Ale (open)

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Carra
"Winter's Heart"
PC: Carraidhin Glaisne
SC: Conor Palfrey

Sobering up with Ale (open)

Post by Carra » May 3rd, 2018, 8:01 am

Conor Palfrey :dino
"What a sight for .. sore eyes!" He purred through a slightly slurred tongue with an ale still at his lips. The return to Hama Valon had been long but the last leg had been painfully boring and almost too sobering for words. Especially as his flask he been finished off days ago, it made for Conor feeling less than accommodating and ready to greet his peers within the Warders Yard. And what better way to lighten his mood than to hit every place of pleasure on his way in until he settled at the familiar and friendly sight of the Band of Brothers. A common place for peers to break in the idea that the entertainment of the Yard finally returned. It was only a small disappointment that his roommate, Cody, was not there waiting for him. (Not that Cody would know, but Conor would inform him otherwise after the fact. It was only proper.)

The blonde that had only just replaced the tall ale frowned upon him with a hand on her hip. "Missed me that much, hm?"

Conor looked up at the barmaid with a smile and a sloppy Palfrey! wink. "When you face death, it is the ale that is lovely. Though, you are very lovely too, Mari. But I know I am not your type." He was never their type unless he had more coin. The Amadecian gold was bitter, but it paid for his needs. He needed his Tower coin back. It felt odd to have no flame marked crowns.

She frowned deeper but left him with his ale. Letting who else was there deal with his drunki-ness. Save herself from having to clean up his puke.

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Re: Sobering up with Ale (open)

Post by Sunny » May 3rd, 2018, 3:52 pm

Dax
Dax fell back into the routines of home without a whisper of complaint. Teaching and patrols came naturally, paperwork less so. The hours he spent with his nose buried in books were sufficiently unusual that he had taken to partaking in that activity away from the Tower. He could handle teasing comments from the other Gaidin, but he didn’t want to explain to anyone why he was reading White Ajah theses on the existence of alternate realities.

His former haunts no longer held the appeal they once had (having children and an almost-wife tended to have that effect when one was wont to hang out where it was easiest to get drunk and chase tail)- so on one particular evening when the twins were sleeping and Elia was off doing Aes Sedai things, his feet carried him to the Band of Brothers with a book about portal stones tucked into his pocket.

Mari’s tense smile alerted Dax to a problem before he had properly entered the room. He tilted his head and frowned an inquiry, and she nodded to a figure seated in the back. “Been there awhile, think he’s one of yours.” Her eyes flicked to his cloak, making it clear what she meant. “Think you could do something about him?”

Dax produced two gold coins from his purse, which he pressed into her hand with a smile. “For damages,” he said, “and tea and a sandwich for me, if you would?”

He made his way to the table and slide into a seat across from the wayward Gaidin with easy confidence. “Conor Palfrey,” he drawled, allowing his chin to settle against his palm. “I do believe you’ve seen better days.”

OOC: Conor and Dax were raised around the same time, but...it might be easier to assume Dax is much older and they know each other only in passing? It’s been decades for my dude (but he LOOKS young. There's stuff and such going on there). :P
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Carra
"Winter's Heart"

Post by Carra » May 5th, 2018, 8:06 am

Conor raised an eyebrow when the pretty man came and sat at his table. His usual humor may have made some snark about not being his type but there had been a wedding.. and kids.. and his wife was now the Amyrlin Seat. How nice for him. Maybe he could be his type.

Palfrey paused on that thought and held out his ale tankard a moment to peer in and out with a squint. Where the blood hell did that thought come from?

"I haven't damaged anything, I'll have you know." He said, deciding that he may as well finish what he started. His words less slurred then before to Mari, but let himself slip back into the comfort of the ale's warmth in his chest. "Just a taste of cold mortality, Sir Dax. You know those. Ones where death is meaningless and an origin is a sham." He took a long pull. "Apparently I'm richer than a middle nobleman of note. If I wanted it. Full of soiled goats milk, if you ask me."

He turned and looked at Dax with a frown. "Not letting a man drink alone? Or has the soft hand of the Tower made you lose the taste for something of adventure?"

Sunny
"Knife of Dreams"
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Finn
QC: Owen Andarin

Post by Sunny » May 29th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Dax arched an eyebrow, toying with the ring that pierced his ear lobe as he examined the man in front of him. Conor stirred up older memories; fights in the street, too much liquor, too many women whose faces, let alone names, he could not remember. At the time it had felt like the best life he could imagine. In retrospect, he supposed it was more that such a life was all he thought he deserved.

“Aren’t you a bit young for an existential crisis?” he asked instead of answering the question. “You’re Gaidin. You fight like a caged beast. You’re apparently rich. You aren’t bad looking. Which part of this equation adds up to drinking yourself into a ditch?” He put his palm over the top of Conor’s mug, pushing it down to the table with inexorable force.

“I like adventure as much as the next man, but I promise you won’t find your next one in the bottom of that cup.”
Image Image Image Image
False alarm- there's still a song for me; I'm just about around to sing it
There's still a chance for me...and I'm still here singing.

Carra
"Winter's Heart"

Post by Carra » June 21st, 2018, 5:21 am

He sipped his ale a little slower, deliberately slurping it up as if thinking means slowing everything down to a crawl. He wrestled with himself just what to share and what not to share knowing just how little he actually talked about his time before the Tower. Well, the truth of it anyway. A second slow drawl and Conor also wondered why Dax was even offering help or interest in the unbonded gaidin's affairs aside to keep him out of trouble. Rumor had it that Dax was notorious for trouble well before Conor came along. He, himself, was no spring goat.

"Adventure is all well and good. Being within this Tower alone has been an adventure. Living amount Aes Sedai and a Grey Tower, that is an adventure. I ain't drinking because I don't have an adventure waiting for me. I breathe and something is funny. I speak and people laugh. I drink and the ladies flee because," he held out a glass as if to clink it against the others, "I am a shameless flirt that gets no further than the stairs and asleep in a bed."

"But tonight, I mourn. I mourn something I never wanted. Something I never appreciated. Something I certainly was better off without. My father was a slippery, unloving, silverpike of a merchant and I never lived up to what he wanted. Got everything from him because I was his only son. But he never knew me. Never laughed at my jokes. An abusive goat at best."

He paused again, this time the sip silent though pulled slowly. "But he was still my father. Glad, though I am, that he is gone."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik