Merriment By Moonlight [Open]

Hama Valon, the city around the Grey Tower.
Forum rules
Welcome to Hama Valon! The aptly named 'mountain guard' is the city that has grown up at the gates of the Grey Tower at the western edge of the Two Rivers. Like all cities, there are quiet quarters with pleasant inns, such as Elman's Creek, which used to be the nearest village when the Tower was young, but was absorbed as the new city grew; its Band of Brothers Inn is still a favorite relaxation spot for many of the Tower's denizens. And again, like all cities the world over, there are less pleasant places--narrow, nameless streets that house hells and other houses of ill repute. Most of the city falls somewhere in between, with hawkers crying their wares in the streets, respectable shopkeepers ready to serve you, and petty cutpurses happy to follow you.

Novices, Soldiers, and drin'far'ji must be accompanied by a chaperon when outside Tower walls or they risk being picked up as runaways and duly punished.
Andy
"A Crown of Swords"
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Merriment By Moonlight [Open]

Post by Andy » June 25th, 2017, 6:42 pm

The evening was closing in slowly, a blanket being drawn over the light to be replaced with darkness. This was not strictly true of course, the stars were little pin pricks of brilliance dotted here and there within the shadowed heavens. It seemed like a reflection of his own life now, as if the world was made by his own hand. Another foolish thought but then he was quite reasonably merry from the alcohol that warmed his insides and this was the perfect time for foolishness. Besides which, it was true. At least he had some stars left though - friends for the most part and perhaps one day something more. He had the estate too, that had been a surprise but he received regular letters with updates, the occasional gift too cluttered his room.

Time had passed since that fateful trip to Arafel, the lovely Fiona for company. The pain was still there but it was less for what he had discovered, what he had been told. As he sat on the balcony of the first floor of The Trotter's Trough he fancied that, in time, he might fill his world with enough light to be day again. He chuckled at that as he poured himself another cup and crossed his ankles upon the seat opposite him. A few others were upon the balcony too but paid him no mind. He fingers idly traced patterns on the polished oak, his mind turning towards what he wanted in life.

The casual observer would see a man with enough youth left to achieve many things if he put his mind to it. A strong man with the developing grace of his future occupation. However the concept amused him now more than ever, largely because he could actually see himself achieving it. He had never really thought he would get there. He had assumed he would fail as he always did, eventually. Now he was confronted with something new - a future - and he could do little but laugh at it.

It felt good.

He could hear the crowded room below in the middle of its party. He had put coin behind the bar, some of it kept from his adventure with Brawn, and told the innkeeper to provide drinks until it ran out. More than a few runners had spread the word of the generosity of the man with the jingling bells in his hair. The rest of the coin, of course, had been deposited at the orphanage as he had vowed to do. It had caused whispers as to where he got it but he had been thanked. Another good deed put to his name, done because he wanted to do it more than anything else.

He began to whistle to himself, a jaunty little tune his memory dragged up from somewhere or other. He couldn't remember when he had heard it or who had taught it to him but as he rattled his dice in their cup and rolled them again and again to test his luck, slowly, methodically, he felt almost complete for the first time in his life. He wondered, idly, if it would last for long.
~
Arafel Will Rise, Kick Matty's Butt & Be Totally The Most Awesome Land Evar
~

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Re: Merriment By Moonlight [Open]

Post by Damon » June 28th, 2017, 6:11 pm

Olin

Olin arrived to find the Trotter’s Trough livelier than usual. Laughter and good music were common here, but as a serving girl pressed a drink in his hand and walked away, he couldn't shake his surprise.

“One of the Grey Tower came in, gave me coin so drink till it’s gone,” said the barkeep as he scrambled to wipe out glasses and pour from thick wooden kegs. It was clear he was pouring as fast as the people could drink, and inspired Olin grabbed some of the coins from his allowance and added them to the pile. Men clapped his back for a moment, before turning to demand their free drink.

Olin looked around for another in the Grey Tower uniform, but did not see anyone in the jostling crowd. Then he heard the sound of couples laughing, and following a young merchant and his wife found the balcony. On the balcony, Olin spotted a Ji’val, the distinctive braids and bells giving him some clue as to the other man’s identity. He had met few of the Ji’val, and he could see the man idly tracing the pattern of the wood. Still, if someone wanted solitude a busy bar and paying for the party seemed like an odd way to go about it. So Olin joined the other man at the balcony, “Thanks for the drink? Celebrating something?”
"Every man is the hero of his own song," Tad Williams.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » June 29th, 2017, 10:01 am

He was entertaining foolish thoughts as the figure approached him, foolish but resplendent thoughts. He had counted those he knew well, friends, associates, sparring partners – he had counted more than expected he had admitted to himself. Then he had allowed each of them to have one other – a Warder or channeler pairing off. It had come to quite the sizeable force all things considered. He wondered if he might build it one day, something with a singular purpose to see if it could change the world around them for the better. To bring a bit more light.

Even in his current state of merriment he had conceded it was probably not possible. He had, instead, focused upon those he cared for most – Fiona, Nate, Paks, Alric. Even such a small force would be able to do something, surely? He had told himself to ask them about it one day. As it was his musings were cut short by the giving of thanks and the question. He waved off the former as not required and stopped rolling the dice to consider the stranger.

Am I celebrating something? Or am I just being me? More me than usual perhaps. Still, was there a reason to be nice? he asked himself. He shook his head slightly, even he didn’t know why he did half the tings he did. Perhaps he was merely becoming what he should have become years ago. He shrugged.

“I don’t know. Perhaps I am celebrating life and being alive? Would It not be nice for it to be so simple, for once?” he asked himself aloud and nodded, it seemed right enough, “to being alive and being better for it. Is there something that you would like to celebrate with me?” he drained the remnants of his cup and poured another from the jug next to him.

“Please, sit and enjoy. Talk with me if you would, or play dice, or sing and dance. Anything that takes your fancy” he chuckled as he put the dice into the cup and put them to one side.

He considered the man, a veritable giant across the shoulders though nothing compared to Brawn. He fancied that he had seen him on occasion in his day to day life – a Dedicated or Soldier he thought. Perhaps he was an Asha’man by now, he lost track so easily. His own rank was obvious by the only clothes he ever wore. He leaned forwards slightly into his chair and extended his hand.

“Don’t think I’ve met you before, name’s Alrim Farshera. Benefactor for the night according to some, but just another drinker according to me,” he gripped wrists with the man and fell back into his chair once more, “tell me have they spread the word by now? I saw them jogging off to get their friends earlier. I would like to think the owner will be happy by the end of the night, no?” he grinned.

“Perhaps we may even attract some more of our own. Would be nice to see them relax and stop studying for a while,” he sighed, “of such bonds the Tower is made. Or should be” he raised his cup to the man.
~
~

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » June 30th, 2017, 5:08 am

Olin

Olin laughed as the other man's cheer were infectious as he drained his cup in a salute to being alive. Olin was reminded of simpler times, before the Arches had taken his eye and given him a vision for the future. “To being alive, nothing simple about that where we live,” he said with a chuckle and drained his cup as well.

“Nice to meet you friend, Olin Trakson. For me let's just say I'm celebrating good dreams; quiet hallways and the chance to make some Murandians sweat through the paces. Finished learning some of being a commander, and the sergeants made sure it was a lesson that won't dribble out of my ear,” said Olin with a wry grin as he recalled the gruff advice and friendship of the infantry. The men on patrol had been slow to warm to a channeler, but a few nights of fresh supplies from gateways had won them over.

As he poured another wine and relaxed with a Ji’val of the Grey Tower, he once again realized how little he had mingled with the other branches of the Tower. It was due to pushing for his pins; a driving force that he knew would not let up.

“Perhaps we may even attract some more of our own. Would be nice to see them relax and stop studying for a while,” the other man sighed, “of such bonds the Tower is made. Or should be”

Olin raised his glass in a toast, and as they were enjoying the evening air, he fished out his pipe and Two Rivers leaf. “They are packing them in four deep at the bar right now, I wouldn't be surprised if your offer of drinks was bringing in cousins from the country. Do you want some, it's a habit I picked up with the infantry and I find it relaxing.”

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » June 30th, 2017, 10:11 am

“Nice to meet you Olin” he returned before taking a sip from his cup.

The man seemed decent enough from first impressions, he smiled at least and had the manner of the earthy sort of person. Clearly he was no noble and that made things easier when it came to conversation. He reminded Alrim a little of the ones he had spent his nights of youth with, the common ones being common together and enjoying life. Even if they were doing it in questionable ways. He watched Olin settle himself with a small smile.

“All things worth celebrating. Especially seeing that there never seems to be enough of them” he conceded easily, he had no arguments with good dreams, he had few enough of them of his own these days.

“Dribbling is bad,” he grinned, “but then again they beat us all around long and hard enough I’m not sure it’s possible after a while. Never thought I’d be grateful to be shouted into shape either but there we are”

He looked out into the gathering evening and admitted to himself that he could never have foreseen his life would have taken him to the grey Tower. Or that he would accept it in time, even grow to like it. If he had stayed in Arafel, joined the army, he would not have become the weapon he was now. Nor would he have met the friends and gleaned the knowledge. By comparison he would call such a life in Arafel empty.

“As for the bar, they can drink until they fall over. The innkeeper’s a good man and they don’t get treats often enough. Tavern lasses deserve some extra too. Even Hama Valon has its problems. What’s a little silver compared to their fun?”

He did truly hope that they enjoyed themselves. Briefly he entertained the idea the Riahana would turn up and get rascally drunk with them. He shook his head at himself. It was not likely but perhaps some others. Either way he was happy that others were happy.

“So you’re going to be one of the new guard of commanders then? Is that what you came to the Tower for? No better place to learn I suppose. And no thanks,” he waved away the offer of tobacco, “don’t mind the smell but never could get over the taste. Perhaps I’ll get a taste for it as I get more greys in my hair”

“Have you seen much action in your time then Olin?”

His own mind flickered to the times he had fought others – the Shadow and mere men. The vision of himself upon the walls of the Tower and getting ready to die at the hands of the Seanchan soured his mood briefly before he pushed it away. It wasn’t true Riahana had said, it wouldn’t happen despite other things coming to pass.

“Did you choose the life or making the most of it like myself?” he asked, genuinely curious.
~
~

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » July 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Olin

Olin smiled as the other man waved off concern for the silver he was spending, the generosity at odds with the grim reputation many of the Grey Tower seemed to earn. Olin knew that sentiments in Hama Avalon were generally for the Grey Tower, but he was glad the tavern was getting a taste of generosity.

As he drank his cup, he was careful not the try and keep pace with his newly met companion, fornhe knew that he would soon be on the floor if he tried it. There had been little opportunity to explore taverns with his nightly forays into Tel’aran’rhiod, but tonight he was glad for the chance to enjoy good music.

“So you’re going to be one of the new guard of commanders then? Is that what you came to the Tower for?” asked Alrim, and Olin paused for a moment to consider before answering.

“I might end up there, I haven't truly learnt much of the inner workings of the Ajah’s to know how that works. I had originally come because I saw the Grey Tower as a chance to learn. I was told I could learn to wield Saidin, and I had heard many tales of the Library and classes that were not part of life in Ghealdan where my family lives. My mother knew I needed more, so I came here and have since begun to see the Green as my path,” Olin said as he tapped his pipe to settle the tabacc, staring into the cool evening sky.

“In some ways I've seen more action that I ever imagined, with the pin I've been on missions to fight bandits, patrol for Seanchan and faced off against damane, and even stood watch at the Citadel. Although I was tested the worst during the recent event at the Great Serpent,” Olin said as he rubbed the scar on his leg hidden by his pants. He still occasionally felt pain from the wound, the Aes Sedai unable to remove all glass completely.

“But compared to Rihanna Gaidin, and Miahala Sedai, they seem like the tales of small victories. Those two are legends and I can't believe that I am being taught by those so strong. So you could say I've grown to love the Grey Tower, it is truly a life like no other, although I do envy some simple pleasures,” Olin said with a wave of his hand at the couple whispering and enjoying wine together in the shadows on the balcony.

“What about you friend? Did you always know you would train here?” Olin asked, curious and a little embarrassed at the way the wine had loosened his tongue more than a little.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 9th, 2017, 10:44 am

"The Greens will be happy then, they are always wanting more to grow their ranks. Armies need recruits apparently. Filled with fun and fire that lot. I suppose it happens when life is hard. Enjoy the smaller things" he conceded, leaving him to make his own conclusions on the matter.

It was futile to talk about their reputation for passion and Bonds and the rest - Olin like as not knew all that already. Not to mention he didn't want to be overheard talking about them that way. Those who did tended to get a quick lesson in such matters and he had quite enough on his plate already. Besides which he was a realist - he'd probably end up alongside the Greens one day. Bonded or not. Better to have no ledgers in the negative when that happened.

"One day you may end up commanding me then," he shared, "I spend quite some time at the Citadel. Probably even more if they see fit to make me Gaidin. Never have met any Sean'chan outside of...well not in this world anyway. Trollocs I have. Few bandits. A Darkfriend or two maybe, never found out. Probably were though. Sounds like you're a man of much experience for such little time" he grinned and drank some more.

"Good reasons to come here too, better than mine. I was forced to come here. Long story short, I was not the best of sons. Still, I like it well enough here. Taught me how to be better. Riahana Gaidin is, of course, the best of many. As for Miahala Sedai I have not had the pleasure of being taught by her but I hear she is...formidable"

He looked at the smoke rising, watching it twist and curl into the most marvellous of shapes. If he squinted he might see some faces of old in there, if he tricked himself. The words about the Great Serpent and Olin's words about being tested. He had heard things about that time but never had he been told outright what had happened. He also grinned at the two romancing in the corner, wondering what it was like to be in love and possessed of nothing but simple dreams and simple lives.

"If it's those pleasures you seek then I can introduce you to some fine people. Nothing wrong with bending the rules now and then. Everyone seems to do it. Might as well take advantage of the large gathering downstairs for something, no? Perhaps later" he chuckled and finished his cup, staring into it thoughtfully for a few moments before filling it once more.

"What happened at the Great Serpent? No one ever did tell me. Before my time I think" he asked, not expecting an answer but he had to try.
~
~

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » July 10th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Olin

Olin laughed and waved off the notion that he would one day command men such as Alrim. He supposed that the possibility existed but it seemed far off on such a fine evening.

“As for Miahala Sedai I have not had the pleasure of being taught by her but I hear she is...formidable,” Alrim commented as he watched the smoke rising from the pipe.

“She is indeed. I met her once in her office when I sought her out as a Soldier, but once was enough to leave an impression,” Olin commented as he waved the tavern girl over to fetch some meat and cheese to go with his wine. He rarely drank, and the wine was smooth and rich so he could feel the cups going to his head.

"If it's those pleasures you seek then I can introduce you to some fine people. Nothing wrong with bending the rules now and then. Everyone seems to do it. Might as well take advantage of the large gathering downstairs for something, no? Perhaps later" Alrim chuckled and finished his cup. Olin felt his face flush and his reply came as a sputtering cough of wine, light but he could never be that forward. Still those poor Novices had thought they had years ahead of them, and who knew when a blade or such would claim a person.

“Maybe I'll take you up on that. I'm more used to conversing with women while aunts and mothers watched from the other side of the room than a rowdy tavern,” whispered Olin.

"What happened at the Great Serpent? No one ever did tell me. Before my time I think" Alrim asked, and Olin debated whether to keep his lips clamped around the truth, but as he thanked the girl for the food and grabbed a chunk of trencher bread he realized there was little point. The rumours would be worse than the truth, he thought to himself as he ensured none were close enough to overhear.

“There was a warp in the pattern I heard it called, something about bubbles of evil that can cause damages and strange effects. I myself was wounded fighting shadowspawn that formed out of the wall and mirrors, while others saw visions from the past. It was terrifying, and horrific, especially with many of the youngest sealed away behind Wards,” Olin finished with a shudder as he recalled the blood and gore. He made no mention of the missing bodies though, that seemed a detail to hide unless an Aes Sedai or Ashaman revealed it.

Andy
"A Crown of Swords"

Post by Andy » July 11th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Alrim couldn't help but laugh out loud at Olin's reaction to his words about searching out for the fairer side of the throng below. At his words after too though there was no malice in it, of course. He could remember a time when he was the same, a long time ago perhaps but still. At least Alrim wasn't going to lead Olin down the darker of pathways, just toward a bit of light fun.

"I wouldn't worry my friend, you'll probably get a few smiles if you treat them with such respect," he hid his smile with his cup, "besides, nothing ever happens without going out and doing it. Or trying. Better to try and fail than fail by default" he waggled a finger with a grin.

His mood turned somewhat more sombre as the man talked about the incident he had mentioned. Alrim had asked but it never was nice to hear about the facts. The Shadow's hand was long and it's daggers were sharp. He wished they didn't have to deal with them as much as they did but if they didn't then no one would and that would have been worse. Still, he hated the idea that his home was under constant assault, one way or another.

"I am sorry that everyone had to live through it," he stated sadly, not mentioning not living through it, "in a way I should call myself lucky, perhaps. At least the had those such as yourself there to deal with it. Without there may not have been a Tower for me to come to. A toast, to the brave" he raised his cup and finished it off, noting that there was nothing left to drink from his jug anymore.

He felt quite merry though not so far gone as to be foolish just yet. Then again he could never quite tell when it came to his actions, he did so like to misbehave. He settled for gesturing at Olin's pipe and asking if he could take a sample. He coughed quite heavily afterwards, accepting that he was not quite ready for such activities as of yet. He remembered it being less worse than last time though.

"Seems only fair, something new for something new," he grinned, deciding to take the man downstairs once he had finished his food, "I think, on balance, that you will like as not remember this evening. For better or worse" he tilted his head and chuckled.

"Giselle," he extended his arm to stop the serving lass with the sparkly green eyes as she passed him, "tell me, are your friends around this eve?"

"Why should I tell you Master Farshera," she put her hands on her hips and looked down at him with a sharp but not unfriendly gaze, "last I thought you had an eye for Nadine and her lot. Always did have poor taste" she sniffed at him and her eyes narrowed ever so slightly in chalenge.

"Ah but I was addled, they did buy me so much to drink remember. Lured me in they did. Please allow me to make it up to you, I have a new friend and one must always look after friends, no?"

"Oh I'm sure they did," she looked at Olin and then batted his hand away gently, tutting in feigned scorn, "if you behave I'll think about it. Got to move that pretty rump first you lazy lump" he turned before he could get anything out in retort and was gone.

"One day I'll win one" he shook his head to a jingle and waited for Olin to be ready.
~
~

Damon
"The Shadow Rising"

Post by Damon » July 12th, 2017, 5:04 am

Olin
Olin had to admit Alton had a point about failing by lack of effort. Still it was easy to get locked into the millstone that could be life as a Dedicated. “To the Brave,” toasted Olin as he reflected on the other man's words. “Don't be so modest, few haven't heard of the events at the Citadel, especially when they have half my clothes dyed green already,” Olin chuckled with a nod to the other man's storied skill.

“Try less of a draw next time, the smoke can be harsh. My first time I think I puffed more out the sides of my mouth than anything . The men told me I looked like a kettle,” he said as he passed the last of his wine to Alrim which would mellow the burn.

"Seems only fair, something new for something new," Alrim
"Giselle," he extended his arm to stop the serving lass. Olin had noticed her figure, the lithe way she moved through the press of bodies and wasn't surprised that she had a lively spirit. Few meek barmaids would last in his opinion, and he winced in sympathy for his new friend when she sharply corrected him on some other woman.

Olin was self conscious of his scar, outside of the Grey Tower few bore such a visible sign of violence, and he found himself turning to hide it from Giselle as she looked him over quickly at the mention of friends. As the maid departed with a last comment of dancing, Olin decided it would be much better to face the crowd and music while the wine sang in his gut.

Hopping up, he looked to Alrim, “Well her suggestion seemed pretty clear. I might no know much, but let's not keep her waiting.” Olin then moved through the crowd and tried to find a spot where he could watch the dancing and learn the steps.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik