Table Settings (Attn Bella and Roan)

Home of all the Ajahs, Aes Sedai and Asha'man.
Lugh
MoNSTer

Re: Table Settings (Attn Bella and Roan)

Post by Lugh » May 27th, 2018, 4:14 am

Beron
Beron listened as Bastian introduced himself, the thought of three Borderlanders discussing pomp and decorum over fancy food amusing to Beron. Although he had the good sense to keep the smile of his face as Andraste Sedai explained the reasoning behind the practice.

As she spoke of bonds, and even the possibility of balls and events at the Grey Tower itself; Beron found himself smiling as he considered the chance to take Isla out among the dancers. How she might look in finery, her hair lifted off her shapely neck...

Realizing he had drifted in thought, he felt his cheeks flush lightly and he made himself listen to Bastian. He was surprised to hear that they would not be treated as simply bodyguards, possibly even separated from their Aes Sedai.

As Bastian voiced his concern, Beron found himself agreeing. “I have to admit, I had often just assumed I would serve my bondmate as her valet ,” Beron tripping over the unfamiliar word. “I know Aes Sedai are formidable, but it does seem surprising we would be seperated. Although I suppose women and men will utter things with their peers that we do not in mixed company”

Beron then noticed the Kandori woman had simply fixed her table setting as she had been speaking, so with a couple quick glances he copied her example. “Is there anywhere in Hama Valon one could practice as well? I have the feeling social polish is going to take more than a few tries,” Beron asked casually as he wondered what event they could be attended with Andraste Sedai.

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » May 28th, 2018, 3:23 pm

"To answer the first question," Andra began smoothly, "there is no one answer. You will often hear that a warder must be prepared for any scenario, and this is true here. It will depends on where you are, what the situation is, and your bond-mate. For example, in broad strokes, a Grey may be interested in maintaining all protocol and if the host insists the warder be separated, the Grey may agree.

"A Green or Red, on the other hand, may not care as much and will insist you remain. Your judgment, however, is to be considered and if you feel there is a threat to your bond-mate, then you are to voice that to them. Perhaps privately rather than before everyone, and the two of you will be to determine how to proceed.

"Your role alongside him or her, depending on who you bond, is to be determined between you as well. As they say, forewarned is forearmed, so discussing these possibilities with your bond-mate in advance of the situation is important."

She smiled at each of them sympathetically, knowing that this was a lot to take in.

"There are not many more...upscale or formal locations in Hama Valon, but there may be a place such things could be practiced on a smaller scale, yes," she said, considering what she knew of the city that existed around the Grey Tower. Considering how often it had been trounced upon in recent years, it sometimes amazed her there was anyone still there...

Andraste kept that thought to herself.

"We will discuss much today, but in the end, it's practice and experience that teaches the best, so we will make sure you have a chance for both," she assured them. She gestured at the table setting. "I imagine you both somewhat overwhelmed by this."

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » May 28th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Beron
Beron found himself nodding as Andraste mentioned the role a Warder’s bondmate could often play in shaping their reactions. Again his mind flashed back to the Three Arches, and he had to admit it made a certain sense. To be a Warder was to be half of a whole, so he supposed there would be times and places that each bond pair reacted to differently.

“What about Yellow Ajah, do they often bond or attend functions?” Beron asked, lost in thought and then clipping his question short. His cheeks burning in embarrassment at his slip, Beron toyed with the smallest fork hoping Andraste had not noticed.

After she discussed the smaller scale ways someone could attempt to practice dining, Andraste paused for a moment, letting it all sink in. She gestured at the table setting. "I imagine you both somewhat overwhelmed by this."

Beron had been idly playing with the tableware, and as he watched Andraste run her fingers over each piece, he was struck by an idea. “I believe the forks and spoons are set the way they are so that each food item may be enjoyed with a clean fork or spoon. But would there truly be so many dishes laid out?” Beron asked as he tried to imagine a feast in a large hall.

Bella

Post by Bella » May 29th, 2018, 11:29 pm

The question about the Yellow Ajah was oddly...specific, and his reaction was impossible to miss by someone who had spent nearly their entire life trained to read reactions--as a merchant, and now as a Red. She did not, however, call him on that reaction and simply answered his question before moving on.

"The Yellow bonds frequently," she said. "While some or many of them may spend a lot of time here in the infirmary, they are also sent off to many locations to aid the people, and those can be dangerous. They need someone to take care of them while they take care of others, and that care can come in a great many forms. The warder of a Yellow must be multi-talented."

Once the topic moved to the dinner, Andra laughed softly.

"I have created a setting here that encompasses the absolute most that you may ever see. No, it's not likely you'll be to events that have this much as a requirement. They will usually be somewhere between this and the family table, but it is possible that an occasion you are at will have this many courses."

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » May 30th, 2018, 1:06 am

Bastian
Bastian’s eyes almost glazed over as he looked at the spread of cutlery in front of him. “My parents told me of a formal dinner and ball they went to where they had two knives, two spoons and three forks. Mother spoke of that dinner for years. She said the amount of food at the feast could have fed us for a year.”

He thought back to Beron’s question about Yellows and whether then needed to bond as say a Green or Red might. Andraste Sedai deftly answered the question and shifted to discuss the table setting without skipping a beat. She seemed well practiced in the art of conversation. For his part, Bastian could hold a conversation, though at times he felt more than a little awkward. . .the result of living alone in his family cabin for so many years.

Would he learn more of the art of conversation from the Red Sister, or would he always feel awkward when discussing something other than caring for weapons or hunting? He couldn’t quite see himself wandering the floor of a fine hall discussing the finer points of diplomacy or trade with lords or ladies of the land. Nor could he see himself dancing with those ladies. He nearly shuddered at the thought.

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » May 30th, 2018, 3:56 am

Beron
Beron was glad when Andraste didn’t press the question, rather simply explaining how the Ajah would approach bonding and the duties of the Warder. The rest of the conversation felt easier after he realized she was gracefully warming them up and setting them at ease.

As she mentioned the settings and family table, he spotted a small cabinet that he recalled from his aunts house was used for serving. Standing for a moment, he took the food to the sideboard. “Would you like me to lay the food out Andraste Sedai?” He asked politely and was glad when she rewarded his question with a small nod.

The kitchen had wrapped and prepared the food in its presentation dish, and he hoped the order the kitchen had layered it meant the way to serve it. Although as he looked at the end result, he realized there was no way to know where to start.

“Apologies Aes Sedaj, should I start with the soup or the bread?” Beron asked, and when she mentioned the soup would be enjoyed best warm, he grabbed the tureen and ladled soup into first her bowl, then Bastian’s and lastly his own. “I hope ladies first was correct?” he asked waiting for her to begin.

Bella

Post by Bella » May 31st, 2018, 12:24 am

The young man was in such earnest that it almost made the Red want to laugh, but she didn't want it to be misinterpreted or to hurt his feelings, so she kept it to herself. Instead, she just watched as he worked, answering his questions when he asked and offering gentle suggestion when she had them.

"I hope ladies first was correct?"

"Much of the time, yes," she agreed. "Generally speaking, even many patriarchal cultures adhere to a sort of well-bred manners that says ladies are ladies. However, there are some places where it is very rigid that the men go first. Study cultures when you can, especially if you think you might bond a Grey!"

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » May 31st, 2018, 4:55 am

Beron
"Much of the time, yes," she agreed. "Generally speaking, even many patriarchal cultures adhere to a sort of well-bred manners that says ladies are ladies. However, there are some places where it is very rigid that the men go first. Study cultures when you can, especially if you think you might bond a Grey!"

“Thank you Andraste Sedai, that is good advice,” Beron said with a polite nod of his head. Once he saw her begin to eat, he took the same spoon she had and tasted the soup. It was delicious, spicier than the usual fare he enjoyed and so he tucked into it with a hunger born of long hours building strength.

Looking up he realized Andraste Sedai had been pacing herself, the spoon dipping stately in the food. About to wipe his mouth, he paused and then used the napkin on the table. Pacing himself, he looked around the room trying to get a sense of the Aes Sedai who was instructing them.

Knowing his nerves had made him chattier than a magpie, he looked to Bastian and tried to see how he was finding the lesson so far. He idly wondered what his old barrack mates would think to see him eating with an Aes Sedai.

Roan
Non-Channeller Representative
PC: Riahana
SC: Tia Tomosan, Aes Sedai
TC: Paks Liard, Ji'Val

Post by Roan » May 31st, 2018, 5:12 pm

Bastian
Part of Bastian kicked himself when Beron offered to serve out the food. The thought hadn’t even crossed his mind, but then when he looked to the sideboard, he realized he wouldn’t have had any idea where to start. As Beron ladled him some soup, the smell wafted up and he felt his mouth watering. He didn’t, though, start eating right away and waited for his fellow Ji’val to sit once again.

Living in a cabin in the woods didn’t call for the most refined of table manners, but his parents did insist on good table manners. He knew better than to slurp his soup, and he held off taking his first taste to watch both the Aes Sedai and Beron. They both held the spoon differently than he was used to, but he adjusted his grip so that it was cradled between his thumb and forefinger instead of holding it in his fist as was his custom.

After his first taste of soup, he looked to Andraste, “Would we be expected to serve the food?” He nodded towards the sideboard that held the various dishes, “If so. . .I am not sure I would have known where to start with such a spread.”

Bella

Post by Bella » June 2nd, 2018, 2:07 am

"Would we be expected to serve the food?"

"Not generally, no," she replied, setting her spoon down with the curved end leaning against the bowl so any that dripped off would go into the bowl instead of the table. Then she leaned back in her seat casually, giving her full attention to both of the young men dining with her so uncomfortably. "The only occasions where that would be needed were if you were enacting some sort of cover.

"That is to say if you, for example, playing the role of a noble and their servant. This is not usually how things go for an Aes Sedai or Asha'man, but it has not been unheard of, especially when traveling through...unfriendly territory, shall we say. Such as those areas where Children of the Light may be encountered. A channeler will very much not want to appear a channeler."

She waved at the sideboard. "Should you be in such a situation, however, the order is generally the same. Soups before salads, salads before appetizers, appetizers before main course, and main course before dessert. It's rare you'll encounter meals with more courses than that, although some tables serve a miniature sort of iced dish. It's said to cleanse the taste of one course before starting the next."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik