Special Delivery [Attn: Murdock Mather Asha'man]

Home of all the Ajahs, Aes Sedai and Asha'man.
Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Special Delivery [Attn: Murdock Mather Asha'man]

Post by Bella » February 27th, 2018, 4:01 am

Miahala ni Sha'hal t'Darrow

Little Iain was now old enough to not require his mother every moment of every day. Although she still wasn't keen to leave him for too long, simply because it was hard for a mother to do, she did force herself to go about some business every few days. Ravak was still enamored of his son and had more time on his hands so it was easy for him to tend the child was Miahala worked in her office.

So, that was where she was on that day. The bond told her that all was very well, and it made her smile to herself as she read and responded to correspondence and considered various pieces of news from her extensive eyes-and-ears network.

There was a knock at the door and she just knew that it was more mail. Immediately, she began to fantasize about offing some of her extensive network so she'd just get less mail... "Enter," she called, her voice and expression revealing none of her inward fatigue and faint aggravation. She was equally tempted to just flee...but she didn't.

It was, indeed, more mail.

The Accepted set to deliver it set it down on her desk, curtseyed, and then hurried away. There was a small package at the bottom, and she took that one first because it drew her curiosity. But when she looked at the label, the scratchy handwriting on the front did not read her name, but the name of the Keeper of the Archives.

Mia sighed. Well, a walk would do her good. She set aside the rest of it and took up the package, carrying it to the keeper's office where she knocked on the door...

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Re: Special Delivery [Attn: Murdock Mather Asha'man]

Post by Matty » February 27th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Murdock Mather, Keeper of le Archives
Things were quiet lately, and Murdock was privately grateful to simply continue to exist, to keep plugging away at his notes and his research uninterrupted. He enjoyed what he was doing; he might have sworn to the Shadow, but he did a good job as Keeper, better than Jaryd had. Sheesh. He just warded everything and swanned about with his bouncy hair. He was much better as a Master of Soldiers, all the better to pick his next young boy to corrupt.

This morning he was doing one of his routine archiving reviews. There were papers he liked to keep a hold of and when he reached a certain amount, they were moved elsewhere. The man was tidy at the best of times and his excess documents were also pleasantly arranged. His office had a small spare table, on which sat three tidy piles of papers now wrapped with twine. Some empty cabinets, doors open, said what he was doing, though these would fill again soon enough. Ah well. It was part of the job. The Keeper was patiently labelling documents before they were added to a fourth, unfinished pile of paper. Everything was neatly highlighted, for ease of reference should he need anything. After a satisfying evening the night before of practicing his Earth weaves on bones, this was a pleasant way to reset.

At least it was until he was interrupted, and the Brown sighed to himself before straightening up from where he was writing some labels. He had the door closed for a reason, did they think he kept it shut so he could nap? He was doing important work. Whatever, hopefully they would go away when they had seen him and it wouldn't take a moment. "Enter," he called, left hand poised to continue labelling. But when Miahala walked in the Keeper instead forced a smile on his face and set the quill down. "Good day Captain-General," he said politely enough, always the appropriate level of respect given. He hadn't expected her at all, mostly because she was a new mother. New-ish. Sort of new? Murdock didn't know how old her and Ravak's brats were, he didn't pay attention to the comings and goings of such things even if the children were cute. Nothing compared to his daughters were but they couldn't help their beautiful mother being offset by the thuggish father. "Forgive me if I don't stand." He nodded to his cane propped up nearby. He had requested a better cane from Elia, and she had provided. It was plain and solid, but well made and resilient.

Murdock was well aware that Miahala would set him on fire without pause if she knew even a fraction of what he did, but that didn't stop him from respecting the woman and her conviction. Being near her amused the Keeper, if only because he knew how angry it would make her if she realised how near she was to a Black. Hah! And Elia as well! Oh, he'd pay gold to see her face then... but only from a distance. The Grey Tower was well and truly gripped by the Black Ajah, and Ravak's idiot scheme had only tightened their grip. Murdock didn't care much either way as long as he didn't get caught, and he and Elia seemed to have reached some sort of agreement. He could accept a truce with the bitch for the time being, and keep his experimenters from Viadulo sufficiently occupied.

"So how can I be of assistance today?" Murdock asked, sure that this was not a social engagement simply because Murdock didn't waste his time with such sentiments. Just because everyone else at the Tower was fornicating with one another and the students, didn't mean he took part himself.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Bella

Post by Bella » March 4th, 2018, 3:17 pm

"Keeper," Miahala greeted with impassive politeness and a small bow of her head. It was as much deference as she paid to anyone else, including the Amyrlin--and this was even more true now that she was related to the Flame of Hama Valon. She certainly would not be calling Elia "Mother," no matter what tradition said.

Mia did not know the Keeper of the Archives much at all, however. She'd had no cause to dislike him, but knew too little to do more but feel neutral about the man. He was polite enough with her now, and so it was returned.

"I will not detain you long from your duties," she assured him. She had no desire to dally longer than need be either. "Somehow, this package was left in a pile of my mail. I'm really not sure how that occurred, but since I did not see the one who delivered it, I could not ask. It has your name on it."

She stepped up to the desk and handed it to him.

As she prepared to offer a polite farewell, she glanced down at her pale hand and saw a smear of red across her fingers. She frowned, wondering when she had cut herself...until she realized that the blood was where she had held the bottom of the package. "Dear Light," she said quietly, lifting her intense blue-green eyes to the Keeper. "That package is bleeding."
* * * The package itself was very simple. It was small, perhaps no larger than a few slices of bread stacked together. It was not even a box, just an item wrapped in plain brown paper, sealed, addressed, and sent. "Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives" was written plainly on the front in a nondescript hand. There was no hint of the sender. Even the wax that sealed it bore no image of a seal.

To feel it was to find something with little resistance, like fabric. But the fabric was wrapped around something.

It was wrapped around a single finger. The shape, skin, and quality of the skin suggested it had once belonged to a woman. And a distinctive collection of freckles bordering on a birthmark, unique in shape and recognizable, was one sign to what hand may have possessed it previously.

There was also a single silver ring encircling the end, where a very ragged cut had severed it from its host and left it bleeding through its wrapping.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 5th, 2018, 1:17 pm

So now the great and mighty Miahala was playing messenger woman? Murdock kept his expression neutral, eyes moving to regard the little package she brought along with her. She came in, dropped it off, and was ready to leave him to his own devices. Murdock was more than happy with this arrangement, because it was nothing to do with her what he received in the mail. He took it from her with a slight incline of his head, holding it in both hands with his fingers resting along the bottom.

The... soggy bottom?

He frowned in perfect timing with Miahala's comment, looking up from the paper to the Green with his own bemused, dark brown eyes. He recognised that tinny smell just as she commented, and internally cringed at the circumstances he now found himself in. It was mildly inconvenient, someone sending him a bloody package and her getting her hands on it, because now he was going to have to open it and hope it wasn't some sort of Black Ajah message. He didn't tend to receive, er, delicate packages in this way, so it was rather unusual, but it wasn't as if Murdock was bothered by a bit of blood.

"It's not the package, it's the contents," Murdock pointed out pedantically, but absent-mindedly as he looked back at the package. He removed one hand, finding his fingertips came back red. He gave them a sniff - definitely blood - and then with a bit of forethought he took some of the unimportant papers he was throwing out, set them on the desk, and rested the package on top. Then he carefully peeled the layers away to find the contents within. He had no idea who this could be from, but as he took away the paper to reveal a bandage-wrapped object, the Brown felt his stomach drop out beneath him. He hadn't even opened it yet but he wasn't a fool, he knew the shape of a finger when he saw one. There was no acting to show his surprise or shock as he hastily removed the fabric with his blood-stained hands, and the cry of alarm at the finger within was entirely genuine from the normally stoic man.

He knew this finger right away. He recognised the freckles, he recognised the size and shape, he recognised the message. He wasn't one to send body parts as messages but he knew what this was. Who this was. "Phoebe." It was just the one word, hanging in the air before he took the finger up, inspecting it as if he could find some clues within the fingerprints. "Phoebe, my baby... what have they done to you?"

Apart from the obvious.

"Your ring finger as well. I didn't think you would settle for a husband... I hope he deserves you. Your mother would be so proud... I'm so sorry Giselle. I tried to find them. I'm still trying." He held the finger in both hands, almost cradling it like a baby. It was the closest he had come to his family in years, a very long time. The blood from the finger coated his hands, dripped onto his black coat, stained him with his own failure. He didn't notice or care, blood was just blood. His inability to keep his family safe, that was what hurt. They were all he had left of Giselle and now here he was, holding a piece of one of his little girls.

He forgot all about Miahala. When he eventually looked up with red eyes, he gave a surprised start. Few were the people who knew Murdock's circumstances, being a private man, and even fewer were those who knew his allegiances, tempestuous and selfish as they were. But there he was, holding his daughter's finger, and the bloody woman had seen it. What could Murdock do about that? A fat lot of nothing. Someone was taunting him, and they would be most pleased to know he had an audience at the time as well.

He put the finger down gently on top of the cloth sitting on the papers, realising how bloody his hands were. "I need to wash my hands," he said, his voice too calm. "I need to- to wash the blood off." He went to stand up, realising he couldn't exactly hold his cane when he had bloody hands, so he just ended up standing there like a lost sheep, holding his red hands out with his palms up.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 10th, 2018, 12:07 am

Miahala was torn--leave or stay? She knew his mail was not her business, and yet there was something bad afoot any time a person received a package that was dripping blood...

She chose to stay, although she remained quiet. If he'd really wanted privacy, he would've sent her away. He seemed unconcerned about the contents, although in truth, who could really tell what the men felt from moment to moment? Aside from seeming annoyance with everything and everyone around him.

The sudden and total shift in his being when he opened the package and found...the finger...was enough to almost make the Captain-General flee, it was so unexpected.

But...Mia was never one to flee.

Who is Phoebe? Who is Giselle? Mia knew precious little about the Keeper of the Archives, and she'd never had any real desire to know more...but all she didn't know was fairly and suddenly important in this moment. He forgot about her, obviously, until he saw her again and seemed startled.

And then, he just stood there. She almost felt bad for him, even though she still had no idea what was going on.

"You seem upset, Keeper," she said. Her tone was impassive, but her eyes said she knew the understatement she'd given. "May I help you in some way?" It was not her nature to turn away someone who seemed to need help, and she was the only one here. She had many questions about what just happened, but first things first.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 14th, 2018, 7:57 am

There was a very awkward moment where Murdock stood there, hands bloody and expression completely un-Murdock like, and Miahala just said... he seemed upset. Of all the female voices he wanted to hear right then, hers was not very high on the list, but that was enough to snap the Brown out of his lost phase if only for a moment. The man blinked a few times and gave her a proper look, a more pragmatic one this time. A caustic remark about how he felt was on the tip of his tongue, but perhaps because of his current state - and partly because of who he was talking to - the Keeper refrained from offering such a comment.

Instead, he took her offer of assistance. "I need to wash my hands. There's some water and a cloth next door." Being self sufficient and not generally lazy, the Keeper didn't normally use his leg as an excuse for anything, but he did think that walking with or without his cane would result in tragedy either way. Murdock's return to his seat was an unsteady one, and he put his leg out as Miahala went and fetched him a small dish of water and cloth with which to clean himself up with. "Thank you."

Carefully Murdock washed his red hands, the water in the pot quickly turning the colour of Phoebe's blood, but the Far Maddinger was thinking now, putting his rational head back on rather than panicking. At least, he was trying to, with varied results, but given the circumstances Murdock wasn't going to be too hard on himself. He didn't consider how dangerous it could be including Miahala in any of this. If it was Black Ajah business, then it would turn out quite badly for Murdock. But on the other hand, if his daughters were safe, then that was the main thing, and he'd suffer the consequences afterwards if he couldn't avoid them somehow. Still cleaning at his hands, Murdock said "I have four daughters, Miahala, grown women I love very much. But they were taken away, and my efforts to find them have proven unsuccessful. I have adequate eyes and ears, but I am not an adventuring man, and so far I have found nothing. Even Elia has offered her assistance, and nothing has come of it." If he was going down, he would throw Elia in front of the horses with him.

"Until today, this... I know that this is my daughter's finger." Murdock's voice was mostly steady, though his dark brown eyes widened with concern as he looked at the digit. "Someone must have her, and they wanted me to know. I don't know who or what their motivation is. My girls are good people, honest Far Maddingers who should have been safe. After Giselle died I sent them money and protection, they should have been safe in Far Madding. But by the time I could leave the Tower to see them... well." Here they were.

"I don't know how you can help me, unless you know where the package came from." Unlikely, given how plain the thing was. Murdock was a smart man but he'd seen no codes in how the knots were tied, or the wrapping of the paper. If this wasn't his usual customer, then who was it? And what could Murdock do about it? There had to be something, and with a righteous moron like Miahala charging ahead and doing the setting things on fire for him that would be great, but they weren't dealing with anyone Murdock knew. This wasn't Black Ajah business, that was the feeling he got from this, and that was a scary thought. All the better to have Miahala standing in front of him.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 19th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Fetching some water and a towel was perhaps less of an irksome task for Miahala than some other Aes Sedai might react since she was also a mother, although Murdock was very far from her child...but still, she offered to help and so she helped. Then as he spoke of his children, she masked her surprise.

He...has daughters? She had heard something of that possibility since she was ignorant of little in the Grey Tower, but whether it had been true or not, and the details, that was something else. Now she knew. And it was an incongruous image to her: this man and four much beloved little girls.

"No, I do not know where it came from," she replied in her usual impassive voice, warring emotions in her mind.

As a parent, and one who'd lost children and had them threatened, she felt sympathy for him. But he normally put her ill at ease, and that was at war with the former feeling. She truly didn't know which would win. "I could find the chain of delivery, the ones who delivered it and who received it in and see if they know anything, but the chances of that yielding results are slim."

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » March 24th, 2018, 8:44 am

Murdock had said himself that he didn't think that there was much Miahala could do for him. It didn't involve mindlessly attacking trollocs, so what use was she in subterfuge, rumours and politics? (More than he gave her credit for to be sure, but he wasn't in a charitable mood, handing out good qualities like sweetbuns).

Even so, her own admission that it was unlikely they would get anywhere, stung. The disappointment on his face was neither brief nor subtle, but he did collect himself eventually and put that back where it belonged. It wouldn't do to show any more weakness than he already had in front of the woman, who was no doubt judging everything he said and did. No doubt everything that transpired in this room would make its way back to Elia eventually, in that annoying way all women had of gossiping amongst themselves and giving important news out as if it was common knowledge. I should probably tell Elia myself, Murdock thought glumly, and see if she's come up with anything. Unlikely. It was going to be enjoyable, throwing the Viadulo experimenters back at her one day. If all his daughters were dead, there really was no point in putting that off any longer.

The look towards Miahala, a figure that simply didn't belong in his rooms, was supposed to be a cordial one, but Murdock's natural expression was back in a forced way, the end result being a slightly put out expression. "Then I have no leads, no way of following this up. I suppose if I wait long enough, I'll get a piece of Phoebe every day in the post, so I can put her back together at this end in about a year's time." It was supposed to be a wry reflection on the inadequacy of Miahala's efforts, but it ended up doing nothing but making Murdock more miserable.

Unable to sit and stare at the finger, Murdock got back to his feet and without saying anything to Miahala, picked the parcel wrapping up that the finger still rested on. He held one side, and using the same hand went to grab the other, so the finger was almost carried in a little bag and he could hold his cane in the other. He limped to the back rooms, setting it down on a tabletop there and seizing Saidin long enough to put a ward of keeping on it. Then, he went to retrieve the eagle belt buckle Elia had given him, the angreal that took him from below average strength to better than average but nothing unusual. He didn't wear it, it just sat in his coat pocket, and actually made him feel a little better as he limped back to where patient, docile Miahala stood. "I am going to go for a walk," he said with a calm he only sort of felt. "I need to clear my head and think about what just happened. If you learn anything, then please let me know. I need to find my daughters before anything else happens, but I don't know how." And it hurt almost as much as when Giselle died.

Bella

Post by Bella » March 27th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Miahala, before she had released the Three Oaths, had been compared to a statue of ivory on...well, pretty much every occasion that there was to describe her appearance. Her age had worn her agelessness to the point of porcelain, making her almost...unreal to look at, or so she'd often thought. Once the Oaths were gone, she looked like a woman again, but her innate stillness was still sometimes like she had once looked.

Perhaps people would not suspect that the Captain-General was even capable of being still and quiet, since the Green Ajah was oh-so-rarely either of those things, but she learned it could be a useful tactic. Besides, the war inside raged, and she struggled to not put herself in his shoes as a parent. (Ignoring the attempted slight she thought she heard in his words.)

She watched him stand and carry the parcel off. She considered leaving while he was in the backroom, but that seemed...rude. She was still tempted, but convinced herself to show restraint. When he came back and spoke of his taking a walk and clearing her head, she knew that for the dismissal that it was, and was happily about to excuse herself when he spoke again and that war made her twinge within.

"I will let you know if I learn anything," she assured him impassively. Perhaps she could put her own eyes and ears to work...

What was one more thing to entangle herself in?

"I will leave you to your walk now, Keeper," she said, bowing her head (very) slightly and turned to go. However, she couldn't help herself when she paused in the door and looked back at him. "My sympathies for this happening. As a parent myself, and one who has lost children, I can imagine the pain of it. If I can be of aid, I will be."

With that, she left.

Matty
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Matty » April 22nd, 2018, 8:27 pm

A few weeks later...

The routine settled in quickly. Check the finger. Read reports. Keeperly duties. Check finger. Possibly eat. Read new reports. More Keeperly business. Check the finger. Read new reports. Go to the new base of operations for the Viadulo experimenters and practice some Rending.

Because whoever did this to Phoebe was going to be turned to a paste, and they would be conscious of it every long, slow, luxurious step of the way. The only thing that made it possible for Murdock to sleep at night was the list of potential ways to kill the person responsible. Oh, he had so many things to try. There was a way of tearing the muscles and using Earth and Spirit in such a way that they repaired themselves as bone tissue. Murdock imagined that would still hurt were he to rebreak them with one of his weaves to make the bones malleable and tender. As for his kidneys, well!...

The routine was interrupted by a new message, this time delivered to Murdock correctly rather than to that annoying Green who offered to help but they both knew she had better things to do, and Murdock was low on her list of priorities. Besides, she wouldn't approve of his methods any more than he did hers.

The parcel contained a large clump of hair, and directions. That was all. Murdock leaned down to sniff at the hair, unable to determine whether or not it was his daughter's, but putting it in a Ward of Keeping next to Phoebe's finger anyway. He didn't need anything else, he had his target and even if it was a trap, he was going there.

---

Stupid trap, Murdock grumbled to himself as he limped down the long path. The night was cold in Saldaea, with a long, winding cobbled path lined either side by tall hedges. The moon was bright overhead and he could see the way clearly towards the small, dark house ahead. It looked as if nobody was there and perhaps there wasn't, but Murdock was going to take a good look around anyway. It was difficult to be truly afraid when the Great Lord of the Dark was your master; it put a certain perspective on things. I don't think this is his doing either. Murdock mused not for the first time as he walked, slow and steady. Or not so steady, these cobblestones were in need of some care.

He was as prepared as he could be - he had his eagle belt buckle, the small Angreal that would give him some strength to put him on par with a number of male channellers but without drawing attention to himself. He also wore the ring he'd pilfered from that great fop Emmond, but he didn't want to use that unless he really had to. This, he wore on a chain around his neck, tucked neatly away beneath his nondescript clothing that would have him pegged as a peddler at best, refugee at the very worst. The long scarf he wore was probably what swayed it towards the former, but it was cold in Saldaea and he needed to not freeze to death if he was going to find his daughters.

The building itself must have been a farmhouse once, or perhaps the main building where the farmers lived when they weren't out in the fields. Well to do folk, once. Now the place looked to be in sore need of some care, with thick layers of dust comprising most surfaces.

That was rather odd. Had anyone been here then there would have been footprints in the dust on the floor...

Murdock looked around the farmhouse for a while, finding nothing of interest in any of the rooms. It was a boring farmhouse any average person would live in, and there were no signs of life anywhere. Most frustrating. Murdock clicked his tongue as he paced the long kitchen, a weave of Fire and Air making a flickering light above him. I doubt I was sent here for the fun of it, the man reasoned. If this is a trap then they ought to close their jaws on me already - but there's nobody around. If there was something here that I should see, then it would have been made more obvious. Unless it isn't something as clear?

The Brown limped his way outside, walking around the side of the house and making grumbling noises about how bloody big it was, and how he needed to rest his leg. But there was his answer - an exterior cellar entrance, both doors open and a dim light shining down below. Murdock's breathing hitched, and he limped closer to look. Below he could see bookshelves lined with literature, and a small table with a map. That was all the man had time to see before someone pushed him from behind, and he tumbled gracelessly down the steps to the bottom.

He landed on his back with a painful knock to the head, looking up at the cellar doors as a dark figure closed them behind him. This is why you need a Warder sometimes, he thought dully to himself before the rest of his vision went dark. At least an unconscious Murdock couldn't feel his broken bones?

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik