The Cat in the Crate [OPEN]

The everyday life of the inhabitants of the Grey Tower. This board is for general daily roleplay around the Tower, in the corridors, rooms and halls that make up most of the building.
Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Re: The Cat in the Crate [OPEN]

Post by Owen » February 9th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Jun laughed as the kitten climbed all over the Accepted - and when he glanced over his shoulder at the Mistress of Kitchens, he saw that the cook’s expression was soft. Kittens could melt even the hardest of hearts, he thought, and silently congratulated himself. For a moment, he considered suggesting that Amaranie adopt the entire cat family. But then he felt a bit guilty, because then he would just be foisting the entirety of his problem on her. And besides, Amaranie had already described her space as limited.

But maybe he could try something else…

“That’s a great idea!” Jun said, head nodding enthusiastically. His hair flopped into his eyes as he grinned. His eyes sparkled playfully. “If you think he might be lonely, maybe I could come by for a little while every day to check on him?”

Something hard whacked his backside and he jumped.

“You insolent brat!” the Mistress of Kitchens said, though by her tone, Jun could tell that she was holding back laughter. “How dare you - !?”

“I-I didn’t mean it like that!” Jun insisted, quickly stepping backwards and dodging another swing of her soup ladle. “Maybe I could bring his mother, or one of his siblings, for a visit?”

“Get back to work before I send you for a lashing!”

“Y-yes ma’am!”

Then as Jun slipped out of reach of the cook, he brushed by Amaranie and quickly whispered, “Would that be alright?”

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » February 10th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Amaranie
You? Room? Mine?

The pink in Amaranie's cheeks deepened to a red that spread over the rest of her face as she backed away from Jun towards the safety of the door. She didn't think she'd ever been so embarrassed in her life. Doesn't he know that's against the rules? Retreating into a corner near the door, away from both the Soldier and the Mistress of the Kitchens, Amaranie focused on the cat in her arms, stroking its head while she tried to calm down.

As she petted the cat, she heard the smack of the Mistress of the Kitchens' spoon echo through the space between them, rapidly followed by the quick footsteps of the Soldier. She shrank away from him as he passed, pressing her back against the wall, but to her surprise, he stopped, asking again if he could come to her room, just as if he hadn't been whacked with the spoon for it only seconds ago. The heat in her cheeks flared up again, and Amaranie didn't take her eyes off the cat. Her throat worked, but the first sounds she made were rather closer to squeaks.

"You....." she sputtered. "The rules....." The high-pitched sounds she made only worsened her embarrassment, and Amaranie quickly stopped trying. She doubted Jun had even understood what she'd been attempting to say. The cat in her arms rumbled contentedly as Amaranie petted it.

When she thought she could manage it, the Accepted spoke again. "No, you can't come to my room," she hissed under her breath, hardly believing she even had to say it. "I'm not allowed men as visitors." There was no anger in her words, just embarrassment at the subject and surprise at Jun's lack of awareness. She hoped the rules were clear to him now, having no desire to lecture him on them even if she did technically have the authority to do so.

None of this solved the problem with the cat, who Amaranie realized by now she would not be giving up. She thought about it, searching her mind for something far more appropriate than Jun's request.

"Perhaps you could bring one to the gardens tomorrow, during one of the study periods?" she offered quietly, thinking the cat might like being outside for a while.

Owen
"The Eye of the World"

Post by Owen » February 18th, 2019, 3:10 am

As the Accepted sputtered, Jun’s heart sank. He felt terrible about embarrassing her.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized. “I-I spoke thoughtlessly. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable, I shouldn’t have said that -” Then he cut himself off as he caught the cook’s glower.

“It was nice to meet you! Thank you so much, I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said quickly. “And I’ll bring some food for the kitten as well. Bye!” Then he darted off to help collect more dirty dishes from the dining area.

The next day, Jun was waiting in the gardens with a bag of food in one hand and a squirming kitten in the other. It was red-orange and fuzzy, like the one Amaranie had taken with her, except this one had white forepaws and a white blaze along its nose.

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » February 19th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Amaranie
Amaranie could already hear the kitten crying at her door as she hurried towards it. How can something so small be that loud? She almost ran the last few steps to fling open the door, and as soon as she did, the cat was quiet. She let the door close behind her while the cat wound around her ankles, and smiled down at it. "I'm glad to see you, too," she said to it, feeling slightly silly as she bent to pick it up. She settled the animal in her arms, then opened the door to leave again.

She could feel the kitten vibrating against her, making that sound it seemed to make when it was happy, and Amaranie smiled as she walked through the halls towards the gardens. Other than its fondness for her hair ribbons, the little creature hadn't been much trouble at all. The cat spent much of its time sleeping on the bed, or in her lap, and if that left piles of orange fur everywhere, it was easy enough to sweep away with a few flows of Air. It was nothing Amaranie couldn't handle...and well worth feeling just a little less lonely.

She was still smiling as she reached the gardens, even when the kitten restlessly kicked her in the ribs. It was too small to kick very hard. It continued to move, struggling to be put down, and Amaranie held it more closely to her as she walked, though she was careful not to hold it too tightly. Once she saw where Jun was and joined him, she put the cat down on the grass, and settled herself on a bench with a nod of acknowledgement for the Soldier.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik