Dagger Training (Attn: Natlya)

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"
PC: Zhenquan
SC: Caddoc Svan

Re: Dagger Training (Attn: Natlya)

Post by Eve » July 17th, 2020, 5:17 am

As the Gaidin kept his gaze, he did the same. He found it difficult, as she was so much more experienced than he, and he could see it in her eyes, but at the same time he did not want to look weak in front of her. So he held it, not challengingly, but paying close attention to her words. He nodded his head when she spoke, and then thought for a moment.

He was still standing in the defensive stance, and so he did not adjust, only shored himself up a little more. Then, after a moment’s hesitation, he shook his head. “No, Gaidin.” he told her. “I have no questions. I am ready.” He inhaled, feeling off balance without his other blade but... that was the point, he was realizing. He was just now coming to terms with the fact that he was out of sorts without both of them. That should not be. In battle he could very well lose one, or even both, and he should be able to protect himself no matter what. He should probably also learn something bigger... He pondered this for a moment, and keeping his eyes on his teacher, his posture poised and (hopefully) ready.
ImageImageImage Image

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » July 23rd, 2020, 3:13 pm

Natlya nodded once in acknowledgement. She didn't say anything further, since nothing further was needed.

Her thoughts drifted back to her own time in class, learning the basics of the dagger. It would be those strikes that she'd use now, since basic defense required basic offense. She started with the "cutting" strikes, holding her dagger in the Forward Grip in an offensive, leading position. Moving slowly, she slashed--downward, left to right. Right to left. As if drawing a ribbon in the air.

Slice. Side to side. She pivoted her body at the waist slightly, moving a little with her strikes.

Again, she drew a ribbon, but this time it was upward. Right to left. Around. Left to right. She repeated both forms a couple of times, moving slowly and allowing him time to show his counters, explain as needed or ask questions.

After that, she moved to piercing strikes and repeated the slow moves, offering time for explanation and/or questions.

She started with Reverse Grip and a high strike, which still (to this day) reminded her of committing a murder rather than a regular battle between warriors. Up to her ear, stab down. Then from Reverse, she stabbed inward at the abdomen. Hip. Forward Grip. Straight lunging strike. High, mid, low. Covering the spectrum.

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » July 27th, 2020, 1:11 am

Zhenquan frowned as he consentrated on what was beginning. His eyes moved down to her hands before being yanked back to her face. He could almost feel all of his teachers (and even his father) yelling at him to keep his eyes on the opponent, not the hands. He lifted the dagger up, then right and left, then reverse. His movements were nowhere near as smooth as hers, and he was aware that he seemed choppy compared to her. How long would it take to look as if he knew what he was doing? He took a step back, right foot behind and to the side of the left for balance as he brought his dagger to the left to counter a strike from the side. He had to keep his free hand in motion, as he kept trying to reach out with it, forgetting he didn’t have a counter dagger in it that he could use. If he touched the other’s weapon, he would be ‘cut’. He needed to practice more with like this, he thought to himself. He didn’t need this sort of a handicap.

He arched his back, moving his shoulders backwards so that he would avoid her upward slice. The downward one, however, he countered, turing it back with a ‘click’ of wood on wood. As the forms went on, he slowly began to get comfortable with it, his left hand no longer acting wayward, and the way his eyes flickered to her hands not needing to be corrected any longer. His footwork, at least, was smooth and well balanced.

The piercing strikes he concentrated on as strongly as the others. Catch with the pommel of his dagger, turning it to the side and away from harm. Click, click, click as he turned away the strike to his abdomen his hip. The hold changed and he stepped backk and to the side, left hand crossing behind his right, body pivoting as he let the lunging pass him by, left hand appropriately up to balance him and ward off incoming attacks. He had begun to softly sweat as he worked on this, but the motion of his body, the weight of the practice dagger in his hands... He had always enjoyed that, and he found himself softly smiling as they worked through each form...
ImageImageImage Image

Bella

Post by Bella » July 31st, 2020, 1:48 am

After a time and several repetitions, Natlya called things to a pause.

Stepping back, she put her offhand on her hip and nodded with approval. "Good," she said. It was simple and direct, but it was sincere. She had scene how uncertain and off-balance he'd been at first with that left hand, but now he was much surer on his feet. Working hard. And even seeming to enjoy himself.

"What do you know of grappling and countering them?" she asked next. Given his basics so far, she didn't expect him to be well-versed but she wanted to ask before they began.

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » August 6th, 2020, 2:38 am

Zhen was paying close attention to his teachers face by now, and was inwardly pep talking himself to keep it up. He really needed to overcome wanting to look at their hands. When she stepped back, he lifted his posture as if expecting a new direction of attack. However, then she called the practice to a halt and her body shifted from aggression to teaching. He followed suit and rested his dagger at his waist, the other hand placed comfortably behind his back.

He thought for a moment, and then shook his head. “Honestly, Gaidin, I know very little.” He admitted, hoping that this wasn’t something he was expected to have known by now. “Especially in grappling. I do know how to counter a blow, as we were just demonstrating, but I do not think that is what you mean?”
ImageImageImage Image

Bella

Post by Bella » August 8th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Natlya nodded, taking it in stride. She came into the lessons expecting him to know nothing, but asking to make sure she was aware of his knowledge and its gaps before she began training.

"This one is called the scissors hold," she said simply. "Come at me, high strike in forward grip. Like you want to stab me in the head." She smirked and got into stance.

As he did--slowly, of course, because who wants to accidentally kill their instructor?--she brought her own blade up. Hers was in reverse grip and when she blocked him, it was with her wrist against his and her blade over it. Her offhand reached up and grabbed the flat of her blade, then pulled forward slightly--not enough to knock him over but so he knew that she could.

"This is the scissors hold," she said with a faint smile before releasing him. "I could also have pivoted and pulled you around me until you were stumbling forward and I could attack you from behind." She stepped back and craned her neck to either side, cracking the joints there. "What do you think you could do as a counter to this? It's okay if you don't see it, feel free to guess or just say you don't know. You're here to learn, but try to think it through first."
I was using this video as a visual reference.

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » August 16th, 2020, 8:34 pm

He watched her demonstration very closely. This was all new to him, and he was excited to be learning, instead of just practicing and polishing. He shifted his grip on the dagger and came at her up and over, aiming slowly for her temple. When she caught it, he kept his eyes on her hands, seeing the way she crossed wrists to trap his own within hers in a grip that was much firmer than he would have thought it would be. Perhaps it was because of her experience and training, but the Gaidin’s wrists were like iron. He only hoped that, one day, he would be the same.

Then she pulled him forward and he felt his weight shift. He knew she could have yanked him around like a rag doll at that moment, and as long as he was trapped he would be mostly useless to stop her. Gazing at her after this question was asked, he thought quietly for a moment. “If I was fast enough...” he said finally. “I could release the blade and catch it with my other hand, slipping my hand free of your hold now that the dagger is no longer in the way. But, other than letting go of the dagger, I can’t really see a way out of this one...”
ImageImageImage Image

Bella

Post by Bella » August 19th, 2020, 12:47 am

"If you were very quick," Natlya agreed lightly.

She gestured for him to step back and she did as well. "There is another way," she said. "This time, I will come at you and I want you to attempt the scissors hold that I just demonstrated. When you do, I will show you a counter...and then explain the counter to the counter." She had to smirk at that. "Ready?"

Standing ready, she stepped forward slowly to stab at him like he had at her moments ago. She gave him plenty of time to get into the hold, and then she reached up and grabbed her own dagger. It was, effectively, a double scissors. Now it was a matter of who was quicker and she was once again able to pull him a step forward. Again, not too far. Just enough to demonstrate. "Still with me?"

Nat then stepped forward and raised their arms again. "However, if you are quick, you can do this," she went on to say.

She released her grip on her blade and brought her hand around to take the hilt and then make as if to stab him in the face. She stopped short of it, naturally. "Hold to counter to counter," she said.

Eve
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Eve » August 27th, 2020, 4:57 am

He nodded at her assessment of the speed needed for that to work. Then he stepped forward when she told him to. He nodded his head, seeming focused already, wanting to learn this quite badly. Watching her face (now that he was in the groove, he seemed to have shaken the need to watch her hands for now), he waited for her motion. Lifting his own dagger, he caught her as she had caught him before. Then he watched closely.

Almost as if it were easy, she switched up the hold on him, causing her to hold him in the same way he held her. Interesting. But how would she....oh. His balance shifted forward and she had him. He nodded his head. “I understand, so far.” he said, giving a smile at this. Then she was moving again, and even with her going slow to show him, it seemed in the blink of an eye she once again had him at a disadvantage. He grinned widely, seeming quite impressed with this move. “That is amazing!” He said, looking at the dagger an inch from his face without with more fascination than fear. He turned his gaze back to her. “How long have you been a Gaidin, Gaidin?” he asked. “You seem so...natural at this.”
ImageImageImage Image

Bella

Post by Bella » September 2nd, 2020, 4:39 pm

Natlya laughed easily as she stepped back and settled into an easy pose, although if one looked, they could see that she held her weapon--even a practice one--like she was ready to use it at any given moment, at the slightest provocation. She smirked. "Longer than I care to remember," she said, hazel eyes flashing.

She waved a hand then. "Many years now," she answered a little more seriously. "Before that, I was a thief on the streets." That was always fun information to give out and watch the reaction. "Quick reflexes and quicker thinking have been needed for both." She gestured to his practice blade. "Before you and I meet again, I want you to practice what I've shown you with some closer to your level of training." She gave him a few names of fellow trainees about his level. "Practice until the motions feel at least somewhat smooth. Understood?"

OOC: One more post to show/summarize his practicing with others/NPCs and I can give you two points for all this. :)

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik