That's the *Point* [Beron / Lugh]

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"
PC: Tamora el'Galina (Aes Seadi)
SC: Talithia (Accepted)
TC: Dianlinn (Ji'val)

That's the *Point* [Beron / Lugh]

Post by Lou » October 17th, 2019, 8:53 am

The morning air was cool against Dianlinn’s skin as she moved quickly towards her first lesson. She had been told to report for the dagger lesson just after sun up, and here she was, ready and waiting. She had some skill in hand to hand, her fellow Maiden’s teaching her the basics, though their travel over the Dragonwall and into the land of the Treekillers had cut that short. Damn those honourless Shaido! She hated thinking of the land of the Treekillers, as it made her remember those dark times in the camp of the Stonedogs, and what they put her through. I wonder if I shall ever get my honour back. And if I can ever think of that nation again without looking over my shoulder. She was looking forward to the lesson as it was going to be taught by a Bonded Gaidin..

As she arrived, she moved to the prescribed place and waited, crouched on her haunches, as comfortable like that as it stretched out on the floor. She looked down at her uniform and her shoufa wrapped hanging loosely around her neck. She was waiting for the Gaidin who would help her become better, as even the Gaidin were legend with the People with their fighting skills, and it would be good to see how good they were.

She stayed in her crouch as she waited for the man to come to her, easier to remain silent, not wanting to owe anyone toh.
Last edited by Lou on October 21st, 2019, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Lugh
MoNSTer

Re: That's the *Point* [Beron / Lugh]

Post by Lugh » October 17th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Beron Beron was curious. He had heard that there had been a few Drin’far’ji recently added to the roll, and that one of the new arrivals was Aiel.

He had also heard that the young woman had been looking to test herself, to improve her skills in service to the Aes Sedai. He couldn’t help but notice certain echoes of his own arrival as a Drin. He had served in the army before arriving at the Grey Tower, and had come with experience and prior training. This woman had been a Maiden most likely, which meant she would probably advance quickly as a Drin.

As he arrived at the lesson, he was unsurprised to see the young woman crouching there. Her shoufa was unusal to see with the uniform of the Grey Tower, but as she had the veil open and loose, Beron saw no reason to fight it. Let the Mistress of Arms decide if or when the shoufa needed to be set aside. “Peace favour you, Dianlinn. My name is Beron Gaidin, I offered to help with your lesson when I heard you were looking for a teacher,” Beron said as he took a moment to remove his belt. He knew many Aiel were uncomfortable with swords, so he ensured that he set his weapon on a rack near their circle but outside of it. His daggers he also placed on the rack, and he smiled when he imagined what the young Drin would have thought if he’d had an axe to hang there as well.

“It is good that you arrived early, have you had a chance to warm up? With Unarmed, you will want the muscles as supple and ready for the demands as you can,” he said as he began to move through his own warm up, inviting Dainlinn to join him. He had learned from one of the best instructors the Grey Tower had, a man who bore Heron tattoos for his skill, and so he moved smoothly from stance to stance.

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » October 19th, 2019, 11:05 am

Dianlinn watched as the man came towards her, he had the usual look of a Gaiain, hard and unyielding, and she found she was excited by what was to come. She had devoted herself to training since she had gotten here, and the lessons they insisted she take, it kept her mind from wandering, and that was for the best. Once he was before her, she looked at him, listening to his speech, and once he had placed his daggers to the side, she moved to stand to her full height. They seemed to be of a height, maybe she had an inch or so on him, but that did not mean she would have any advantage.

"I see you, Beron Gaidin, of the Grey Tower. May you always find water and shade. I thank you for taking the time to teach me. I will not let you down." She told him, though it did seem like a foolish thing to say in a land full of such things, but wishing one to have an abundance of both was still the best thing she could offer someone.

His question about warming up made her nod her head. "I did, Beron Gaiain, I went for a run this morning, and then warmed up before making my way here." Truthfully she was never used to warming up before practise or combat, she just fought. The Aiel seemed to be that way in general. But as the man before her started to stretch, she began to copy him. She assumed it was what he wanted to see and she was willing to learn new things.
Image Image Image

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » October 21st, 2019, 4:43 pm

Beron Dianlinn moved well, Beron spotted right away. As he led them from high stretches that pulled their backs into long arcs, he noted that her height was very nearly that of his own. Dianlinn was obviously in good shape, the cut of the uniform doing little to hide that her legs were strong and shapely. As he dipped and rolled over the sands, he could see her arms were well defined. She seemed to easily move through the lunges and held the crouches they both moved through. As Beron finished his warm up, he knew she had probably not needed to warm up, but he knew all to well how stiff and sore the long hours of practice at the Warder Yards could make you.

As he stood from a low crouch, his foot having swept out a furl of sand, he assumed a relaxed guard stance. His hands were swaying slightly to keep her attention, and he circled slowly around her to see how her footing was. As he'd guessed, she returned in a stance of her own, and Beron darted in quickly for a series of testing jabs.

"Tell me, what experience do you have with fighting? Is there anything you hope to learn more than anything else today?" he asked, a trio of blows meeting her own blocks. Beron wanted to test the young woman, and so he used footwork trained on the sands to move them around the circle. As he questioned her, he kept his strikes coming, occasionally adding an elbow strike or short probing attack with his feet to the mix. It was a pace he could keep up while speaking with her, and he hoped she would prove capable of the same.

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » October 22nd, 2019, 3:25 pm

Dianlinn watched Beron Gaidin carefully as he raised up from his last stretch, as he seemed to be eyeing her in the same way. It was not the look of someone just looking but of someone who seemed about to attack. And as she moved to make sure there was always the same space between them, knowing that the space around them was smooth sand. But more importantly it would be his eyes that told her when he was going to move. And when he did, she was a fraction slower to move than she had wished to be, but her footing was sound, and she gave a small smile, as it felt good t be dancing again, even if it wasnt with a weapon yet.

She moved aside of his jabs, or held her arms up to shield her face and neck, or body, though again she felt he was moving slowly, giving her a chance. She felt a flush of anger at him, or thinking she was some delicate Wetlander chaff that needed to be coddled, but then she had to remind herself that he was testing her, gauging that she knew. She knew she owed him toh for thinking bad of him, but she did not say so, she would simply do something for him to repay it.

His question caught her attention, and she almost stumbled over her feet as she thought of her experiences, some of which she did not want to talk about, though the Aes Sedai in the Yellow Ajah had told her that she needed to speak of such things to not let them poison her from the inside. He did not stop on his strikes, but she continued to block, letting some in to block those that she saw as more dangerous. She moved without thinking, a dance indeed.

"I was training to be Far Dareis Mai and they are not soft in their teachings." She told him, "And when I came across the Shaido in the Wetlands, but that was not a fight I won." Her voice sounded bitter, even to her own ears. Not that I was allowed to become gai'shain to get my honour back.[/i] "I want to become better with daggers, I want to never be defenceless even if I only hold a dinner knife." She told him, her blue eyes hard for a moment, her knuckles white as she clenched her fists hard enough to dig her nails into her palms.
Image Image Image

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » October 22nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

Beron
Beron was impressed. Dainlinn danced well, a term he knew the Aiel often used for their battles and as they both moved in the rhythm common to all manner of fighting, Beron could see why. As his last series of combos were met with competent blocks, he was impressed when the honest answer came out of the young woman.

Taking her block and using the energy to allow himself to seperate the two of them, he rolled away and sprang up into a relaxed stance, his hands held out to let her know he was done. As he collected them, he tested the balance of the training daggers and was pleased with the ones a Ji had chosen. "I can appreciate that reason for wanting to learn daggers. There are many different designs to work with, and practice with at the Armoury. Slender knives perfect for hiding in a boot or sleeve; throwing blades designed and balanced for aim; among others," he said as he handed her the blunted blade, watching as she got a feel for the balance and weight of the blade.

"With your training as a Far Dareis Mai you will likely find dagger is easier to pick up. Many of the unarmed moves and blocks you already use will compliment your attacks with a dagger. It is a versatile weapon, and sometimes even simply switching your grip is enough to throw an opponent off," Beron said as he held the blade both in reverse grip and gripped so the blade faced her.

"With a dagger, you will need to be in close. Far closer than with a spear, although the speed can make up for that. Blood loss and debilitating cuts will most likely be how you will defeat your enemy. I took time to work with the Kitchens, although at first the Mistress of Kitchens was unimpressed, but it allowed me to learn joints, sinew and tissue," said Beron as he motioned for a waiting Ji'val to bring forward a wooden training dummy.

"Take your time, practice attacking. Just remember, a dagger may not be as large as a spearhead, especially one you have worn to be a hidden final defense. So I would practice slicing, not stabbing," he said as he demonstrated, his hands and arms moving in practiced movements, slowed so she could see. He spun, wove and sliced along the wood, small scratches showing on the dummy's wrists and neck.

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » October 27th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Dianlinn was never able to truly land a blow, as he was more than adept at taking her energy and momentum and using it against her. He moved like many of the older Aiel did, when they sparred and trained, and she wondered if he had been Aiel if he would have been a Shae'en M'taal. They continued to move around one another, until he rolled away and held up his hand in a stop. She knew that motion, and she stood up straight, out of her slight crouch. She listened as he spoke of the different types of daggers, and she nodded her head to show that she was listening. "I do not intend to hide my weapons, so normal fighting daggers would be best, for me." She told him, taking the blunted dagger and admiring it. The types the Aiel usually had were longer, but this length was not too bad. She moved it around her hand, flicked it back and forth, feeling the balance as she put her finger by the hilt and watched it balance perfectly. "Yes, this type of weapon."

She listened as he spoke of how to fight with such a weapon, and used their unarmed spar as an example. She nodded again, listening and watching as he began to demonstrate on the practise training person. She had seen them around, but she had no idea what they were called, not really. It was as tall as she, and had wooden arms and legs, all joints in the right places. When she was told to go ahead and have a go, she nodded to him and moved forward.

Her meet moved to balance her weight, and she moved the dagger in her hand so the blade ran along her forearm. The she began. She moved to swipe at the joints; neck, elbow, knee. She let the blade pass over the battered wood of the torso; lungs, and stomach. She sliced down the thigh for the spot there that she knew would make a man bleed to death in three minutes. She worked under the autumn sun, working her muscles hard, adding the blade into the movements she knew from unarmed fighting. She worked until told otherwise, her movements picking up speed as she did.
Image Image Image

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » October 29th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Beron was pleased to see that Dainlinn was a quick study. He had expected the basics of dagger fighting would come to her, being an Aiel she was more familiar with fighting and combat than many of the Drin. As he watched her movements, he kept his gaze on her form and watched as she used her speed to good effect.

He wondered if perhaps it was the spear training a Maiden would have been prepared for, but she never tried to stab the blade into the dummy where the weapon could bind or get snagged by cloth, leather or bone. He nodded his approval when she struck at the thigh, his healer training letting him know just how devastating a blow that could be.

As the sun rose in the sky, he could tell that she would continue to practice well into the afternoon, but he figured she had the basics of attacking down. "Excellent, you move very well Dainlinn. And that thigh strike was especially well executed. This man would have fed the sands his blood, before the dream ended for him," Beron said with a nod towards the dummy.

"For defending yourself, or your ward; with daggers it is unfortunately a matter of getting in close and trying to disarm the opponent. There is much less of a blade to block or parry, and so a lot of the guards will involve your free hand," Beron said as he demonstrated a high guard, mid guard and a low guard to her.

He swayed from stance to stance quickly, beginning in High guard with his dagger forward threatening her, while his free hand was held back and at his waist. The next guard was less aggressive, with his arm spread out wider, his free hand even with his dagger and ready to grasp hers.

Beron then had her repeat the guards, watching as she moved through them until he was satisfied. "Good, now we will spar once more. The blades are dulled so while we may bruise, we will not cut or stab one another. You may begin when ready," Beron said, his body assuming a guard stance once more.
Spoiler: show
Feel free to right Beron blocking, attacking as you need for your next post.

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » November 2nd, 2019, 6:35 pm

Dianlinn would have indeed continued working through the afternoon if Beron had not stopped her at some point. She took all of his criticisms and praises of her technique as he gave them, and made sure to change her stance, the way she held her dagger, and where she let the blade hit on the solid dark wood before her. When he called a halt to her work, she stopped and looked to him, not having broken a sweat though they were not standing in the Three-fold land were they. The sun was not as hot here, and if anything she was far too comfortable. She nodded her head as he complimented her slash at the thigh, and what would have happened once such a wound was taken. She had seen it, in one of her Sisters, and she would never forget it.

She watched as he spoke of the High, Mid and Low guard, giving her a demonstration of what they looked like. She tilted her head, watching it intently, taking in the details of the way he moved and how he showed a way of using them. She knew that daggers would not be ideal to defend her ward with, but if someone went wrong and that was all she had, then it would be best to know, would it not?

When he then told her that they were to spar a while with the new found information, she nodded her head to him, and took up her beginning stance before him. She nodded her head once to him, before she was moving, flowing into the stances as he had shown her. When he tried to attack, she slipped into a defensive stance, her favoured foot back, the weight resting on it, before she was moving to attack him as he fell back into a defensive stance, her weight on her dominate foot, moving forward, to take the weight of the attack and to give more power there.

They moved like this for some time, almost like a dance, or so it would seem to any of the Wetlanders who were watching. She continued like this, never actually making it to hurting Beron, but she liked to think she came close on more than one occasion. She did not want to one of these green boys that she had seen in the training grounds who thought they could take on the world, but in fact who barely sing one of those filthy swords.
Image Image Image

Lugh
MoNSTer

Post by Lugh » November 5th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Beron was glad to see his student was soaking the lesson in. In fact, she seemed to be soaking it in as the sands of her homeland would have water, as he moved through the varying stances and guards.

He was aware of the other students who began to watch their spar, the young men no doubt enjoying the moments when a Drin pushed a Gaidin to a roll, or an awkward parry. She had yet to score a touch, though there had been moments when Beron knew it had been a near thing more than once. Which was good, facing any opponent sharpened mind and skills, just as a whetstone sharpened a blade.

As he pushed her, he could see her body was well suited to fighting, the strength and flexibility in her limbs allowing her to bend and sway like a willow in the wind. Spying the dummy, he wondered how she would do if he added another wrinkle to their spar.

Taking only a second to separate themselves, he snapped a slim throwing dagger he had palmed into the wooden fence beside the training dummy. He could see the question in her eyes as they faced each other in guard position, and he smiled. “I just missed the Aes Sedai you are escorting. A weave of air on her part stopped that knife, but will you be able to stop me. Defend your ward,” he said as he advanced once more, this time using his speed and attacks to try to create separation between her and the “Aes Sedai” he had charged her with protecting.
Spoiler: show
Like before, go ahead and have her be able to protect the dummy. It will be close at times, and I think one more post from you will likely get the word count needed for a WS point, but we can double check that.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik