Swing and a Miss (attn. Bella)

Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Warder Yards. This is the place for Warder and Trainee roleplays. Informal non-training interactions take place here, as well as some extended role plays. Yet these events may take place at any area of the Tower, and sometimes outside of it, since the images to the left merely serves as inspiration towards the sceneries of your stories. Channelers are always welcome, and might even find his or her bondmate through the threads that are displayed below.
Adanys
"The Dragon Reborn"
PC: Avalan Mond'wil
SC: Mandira Cantlin

Swing and a Miss (attn. Bella)

Post by Adanys » July 10th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Avalan
Avalan groaned and arched her back, feeling the relieving pop in her spine. She laid down her towel, then met the Mistress of the Kitchen's eyes across the room. The woman nodded towards the door then went back to what she was doing. Sighing in relief, Avalan quickly swiped off her apron and removed herself from the kitchens as fast as she could without actually running.

She made a beeline for the Yards, picking up a practice sword. She laid it aside while she stretched, feeling the tension leave her shoulders and lower back. Scrubbing pots every free minute for the last month was a whole different kind of labor than her normal training routine. Her body didn't like this. She was just glad today was her last day. One more hour this evening and her punishment for getting in late would finally be over.

She picked up her practice sword and rolled her shoulders, falling into The Leaf Floating on the Breeze, her grip relaxed. Her mind's eye conjured up a pair of trollocs rushing at her, one in front and another coming up behind. She changed her stance to Lizard in the Thornbush, thrusting the blade forward into the first imaginary Trolloc's chest. Then she pivoted and dropped to her knee, bringing it up swiftly where the Trolloc's belly would be, imagining the blade sliding up into its torso.

She pulled the sword back to her side, smoothly rising to her feet. She imagined another Trolloc rushing at her, arms raised and midsection exposed. She raised the sword horizontally at her side, gripping it with both hands. She began swinging it at the Trolloc's midsection and just before it'd connect with the imaginary foe's torso, she gave an extra heave to propel the blade more swiftly. But as she did, she knew her stance was off, her feet too close together; off balance and arms still swinging with momentum, she felt herself twirl a full 180 degrees before she fell to the ground with a grunt, landing solidly on her backside. She blew the hair out of her eyes with a frustrated breath and lay down in the dirt, her pride stinging more than anything else. Fine thing being knocked down while fighting imaginary foes. How was she ever going to be ready for real battle?

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Re: Swing and a Miss (attn. Bella)

Post by Bella » July 11th, 2018, 11:50 pm

Haeden had just finished up with one of his students, sending the boy away to cool off before moving onto another class. It was taking more effort to be the stern-faced teacher he needed to be these days, but the...elation over the course his life had so recently taken was hard to suppress. He managed, but it took a lot of effort.

As he walked through the Yards, he took a glance at the various trainees hard at work. Some were doing well, and others...less so.

The one who had just landed on her arse in the dust caught his eye, though she was spaced far enough to not catch too many others. He just happened to be looked around.

Walking over to her, the tall, blond Gaidin offered her a hand up. "Need to watch your feet better," he said, but kindly.

Adanys
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Adanys » July 17th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Avalan Avalan gave a soft snort as the Gaidin, Haeden she thought his name was, reached out a hand to her. "You can say that again; this isn't the first time I've fallen like that." She accepted his hand and let him help her to her feet. She dusted off her backside and picked up her practice sword.

"It seems I forget about my feet when I'm concentrating on where to put my sword, hands, head, and whatever else, I rush through it too fast, and the next thing I know, I'm on the ground." She shrugged her shoulders. It was irksome to her that she knew what the problem was, but she still kept making the same mistake. She knew the proper foot placement, but she just always moved on too fast before she got her body in the proper place. One of her teachers had told her to take her time in practice, commit these things to memory, and soon it would be second nature.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 18th, 2018, 2:18 am

Haeden smiled kindly, although he stifled the chuckle of amusement that wanted to bubble out. He knew that it would be misunderstood, when the real source was remembering his own days as a young trainee. Of course, he had gotten a head start by being born to this place with a Gaidin father, but he'd poured too much emotion into his training early on and it had fouled his feet, hands, and heart.

"When you're learning how to fight, whether it's with no weapon or sword or hammer, there is a lot to keep track of. It takes time, and a lot of practice. Take it from one who knows." He held his hands out to indicate himself, of course. "If you would like, I can try to help you out. I'm one of the sword trainers of the Yards, after all."

Adanys
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Adanys » July 21st, 2018, 2:13 pm

Avalan Avalan smelled the amusement rolling off of him, even if he did mask it well. She felt sometimes, that she could know people's emotions even when they tried to hide them. But, as far as she knew, there was nothing she could do about it. She merely eyed him, considering his offer. She'd never met the Gaidin before, but she could tell she'd like him.

She nodded once. "That'd be good, thank you for offering, Haeden Gaidin." She bowed slightly. She loved one-on-one lessons, but she didn't often ask for them. She was sure the Gaidin and Gaidar around the Yards had enough to do without the Drin constantly begging for lessons. Classes were all right, but so much was missed in them, either by student or teacher.

Bella

Post by Bella » July 23rd, 2018, 1:09 am

"I'm glad to assist," he said. After all, he had been teaching students both in classes and one-on-one for nearly... Well, more years than he really cared to remember. He was far from old, of course, but he was far from a kid. Though his age was not going to change so fast anymore, now that he was bonded...

Back on topic, Haeden.

"Why don't we start at the beginning. Tell me what experience you have, what you've learned so far."

Adanys
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Adanys » August 2nd, 2018, 9:22 pm

Avalan Avalan quickly ran through what she'd learned so far. She knew most of the stances, a few of the more complicated ones she wasn't familiar with yet, wanted to get the basics down first. She also demonstrated a few forms so he could study her stance and the way she held her sword. Maybe she'd slipped and he'd find something that needed correcting.

"I'm not a master swordswoman, but I feel confident enough to say I could easily best a common street thug, and maybe hold my own with someone that had held a sword before. But as you saw, I can end up on the ground even without an opponent." Her mouth twisted into a wry smile. She'd be more embarrassed about that if it wasn't so funny.

Bella

Post by Bella » August 4th, 2018, 1:20 am

Haeden stood, arms folded since it was a good place to keep his arms, and listened to her explain what she knew. He nodded here and there to show that he was paying attention and understanding what she said, forming thoughts and possible plans and pitfalls and advantages, like the teacher he so often was.

"Well, let's take a look at your abilities," he said, moving over to take a practice sword. "Show me the stance you're most comfortable beginning in and then make a move offensively. We'll work slow and I'll watch close, then I'll be able to evaluate."

Adanys
"The Dragon Reborn"

Post by Adanys » August 7th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Avalan Haeden Gaidin listened to her as she explained what she knew so far, nodding here and there. He went to pick up a practice sword and asked her to assume a stance a she was comfortable in and make an offensive move.

Avalan nodded, then considered a moment. Taking a deep breath, she held her sword at her waist, standing in The Kingfisher Watches the Sky. She held the stance a moment, focusing on what her senses were telling her. Since this wasn't a real fight, all she really got was the steadiness and calm rolling off the Gaidin, and the noises of the Yards and others training around them. Instead of tuning them out entirely, she just pushed the noise to the side and focused on the Gaidin. Ignoring her surroundings was not a habit she wanted to pick up.

She felt slightly self-conscious, but forced the feeling down. This was a lesson, being scrutinized was the whole point, the only way to find all her errors and begin correcting them. She loosened her muscles, but didn't let her guard down. Even if this was only practice, she needed to practice being aware and ready at all times.

On an exhale, she took a half step forward and thrust her blade out in a horizontal slash - Cutting the Clouds - driving it with speed if not a great amount of force towards her opponent's midsection.

Bella

Post by Bella » August 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm

As she moved into position, he eyed her form carefully. He found her stance an interesting choice since it was typically a defensive stance, but she held her body well in it. He held himself in an easy standard middle guard position, waiting to see what move she would shift into next so he could watch.

Cutting the Clouds came at him, and with speed although without enough of her body into the move to make it powerful. It was a maneuver best made with power, but he was sure she only wanted to do so much while facing off against a Gaidin.

He stepped forward as well, bringing his hand-and-a-half practice sword into a simple vertical block. When the flat of his blade met hers, he paused there and held them in place. "A good start," he told her. "You held your opening form well, but it was a defensive posture. Knowing the forms is a good place to start, but knowing their best uses will help even more."

Moving back, he returned to an easy guard and waited for her to do the same. "Again. This time, if you know an offensive stance, try that before moving into your strike."

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik