Grass So Soft [Open]

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"
PC: Tamora el'Galina (Aes Seadi)
SC: Talithia (Accepted)
TC: Dianlinn (Ji'val)

Re: Grass So Soft [Open]

Post by Lou » November 14th, 2019, 11:30 am

Dianlinn could see that her commenting about no apple trees in her land surprised him. Why would it, it was a baron and hard land, and apple were a soft and moist full things. She had to admit she was becoming used to the food here in the Wetlands, their food was moist, full of water and flavour, but in her opinion they lacked spices. She guessed they, as in the Aiel, were lucky that they had access to the spices from Shara, where as most of the Wetland did not. But she was growing used to the food, if little else.

When he asked about the t'mat and the zemai, she nodded her head and smiled. "I think you call t'mat tomatoes, and zemai is like a..." she clicked her fingers as she tried to think of the word she wanted. "Maze or wheat, I think is what you call it. We have squashes too, as they grow low to the ground." She told him, and shrugged, "It is good food, and whatever meat we can catch from wild boars to the large lizards who lay out in the sun." She smiled, thinking of how good that tasted over a spit.

When he claimed he had not thought about them having black and silver smiths. She smirked, though it did not touch her eyes. "You are not the first to think us just as barbarians with no culture." She told him, but she quickly held up her hand. "I mean no disrespect, I owe you no toh for my words. Just since coming here, that is the way I have been treated." She looked back down to the grass, her hand still running over the fat, plump blades there. She looked up at him, and offered a small smile. "I did not think any Wetlanders had honour, but since coming here I have found some of you do." She told him, hoping she took her meaning that he was included in that statement.
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Post by Alianora » November 17th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Kalyan
To be honest, the thought of eating lizard made Kalyan feel a little ill. It does make sense, if that's what lives in the Three-Fold land... He might be able to reason out that much, but had to admit he was glad he'd never been asked to eat one. Blinking, he sat up straighter, crossing his legs underneath each other, and tried to not think about it. Instead he thought of the tomatoes and wheat Dianlinn he mentioned, only one of which was familiar. "Oh, I know what wheat is," he told her. "Here it's used to bake bread, is that what you do with it? I've never had a tomato, though. I saw them once or twice when Da and I would go into Caemlyn, to their markets, but they were expensive when they were for sale at all."

Then it was time to listen again, though when she mentioned how his people saw hers, Kalyan very nearly opened his mouth to protest. Some of what he thought he knew of the Aiel was wrong, he was rapidly learning, but he'd never once thought them barbarians as she said. However, she quickly continued talking, which forced Kalyan to stay quiet. He did, however, shake his head while she spoke of how some of the others here treated her. He simply could not understand why anyone would look at her differently, just because she came from a foreign place with its own customs.

When she smiled, Kalyan raised his head and smiled back. "I'm sorry some of the others have made you feel unwelcome. I can't understand why. I enjoy hearing about your home and how different it is from Andor. It would be so boring if every place and everyone were exactly the same in everything." He looked away from her and up into the sky, thinking about it. "I know few of you ever travel here, and those of us who live here don't often leave our own country. I've never left Andor in my life." The Soldier shrugged as he looked back at Dianlinn. "Maybe they just don't understand that people can be different from each other without someone being wrong."

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » November 19th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Dianlinn watched as he sat up a little straighter, sure she had seen a look of revulsion when she had mentioned eating lizards. She did not see why, it was no different than people in this land hunting wild creatures to eat. But she would not press him to say if he would eat such a thing or not. She found plenty strange in this land, especially what they were served for food in the mess hall. She nodded as he claimed to realise what zemai was, and listened as he explained that he had never had a t'mat, but at least he knew what they were. She wondered if she could trade for one from the Kitchens, and give it to him to eat. "Caemlyn?" She asked, not sure where it was.

He seemed to be listening as she spoke of how some had treated her since she had come here, and she was glad he did not interrupt. She did not want pity, pity never helped anyone. She had simply had to harden herself against their words. But yet she was glad to have met someone who asked questions and changed his judgements. Someone who wished to learn. As he smiled back to her, she was sure she may have made a friend, which was nice, it made her feel less lonely, even in the little while they had been talking. And she realised again how strongly she missed the Three-fold land. Here she felt like a babe, knowing nothing, but there she had known many things. She did not like to feel useless.

"Thank you, Kalyan Rihera, you are wise indeed." She was sure he may make a good Asha'man. "May I ask, where do you see yourself in the future? What Ajah?" She asked him, unsure if this was a taboo subject, as she had not spent time with any who could channel before, not here anyway and not in idle conversation.
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » November 20th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Kalyan
For Dianlinn's sake, Kalyan hoped Drin didn't have to study geography. The subject didn't give him much trouble, but he imagined it would be much harder for the Aiel woman. "Yes, Caemlyn. It's the capital of Andor," he explained when she finished speaking. "My family lives about half a day's ride from it."

He blinked when she called him wise, but heard it as a compliment and appreciated it. His smile grew wider, and Kalyan found himself hoping that he might become friends with this woman. He had plenty of those, but Dianlinn was different from anyone else he'd ever met, someone he wouldn't mind knowing better. He gave a slight laugh as he said, "I don't know about that. I was just trying to help."

"Anyways, I have no idea what Ajah I'd want to join," he went on. He turned his head, gazing at the trees nearby. "It's been a few years since I came here, but sometimes it still doesn't quite feel real. I mean, I know being an Asha'man is what I'm learning to do, and it's what I want, I think, but I can't imagine actually being one myself yet." Kalyan flashed a quick grin as he confided, "We're not really supposed to think about the Ajahs, but everyone does. Don't know which one I might want to join, but I do know it won't be the Brown or the White. Most of them never leave the Tower, and I want to see the rest of the world. Probably won't be the Red or Green either, not sure I'd be brave enough to go fighting Shadowspawn or hunting other channelers."

The Soldier smiled again and said, "I'm not worried about it, I'm sure I have years ahead of me before I have to choose. But what about you?" he asked, looking towards her. "When you're Gaidin, do you think you'll stay here, find a channeler to bond? Or would you go back home?"

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » November 25th, 2019, 8:41 am

Dianlinn took note of the name of Andor's capital, after all they were in Andor, now, or so she was sure. "Caemlyn," she tried the word out in her mouth, finding it harder than most other words. The word itself felt dainty, though maybe that was her own musing on the matter. "It must have been nice to live so close." She told him, before she shifted slightly to stretch her legs out before her.

He took her compliment well, though she caught the way he smiled a little and blinked at her words. She left it with a nod of her head, and that was all.

She listened as he spoke of Ajahs, and not knowing where he would be going. She nodded along, understanding his words, his thoughts about Ajah's and really after he went through what he would not be, that only left four. Indigo, Grey, Yellow and Blue. She could see him as a Grey, he had a good way of thinking, and she guessed that meant he would do well in advising and mediating. At least that was what she thought they did anyway, though she could be wrong. His question made her paused for only a fraction of a second, and shook her head.

"I can not go back to the Three-fold Land, I was sent here to serve the Aes Sedai, and I can not go back." She dd not think he would understand that, not many did, but that was fine. She did not expect him to, she knew what she must do, and that was enough. "I will stay here until I am either Bonded to an Aes Sedai or Asha'man to serve and give my life for, or I will defend the Tower as needed." She told him simply, seeing it as black and white in her mind. Though she would hate to be stuck here all the time, and not dance the spears again.
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » November 26th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Kalyan
Kalyan shrugged. "It was nice, especially since we didn't have to travel far taking the apples to the market. Market days were always my favorite. Not that I minded staying home, but Caemlyn was much more interesting than our little orchard."

After explaining his thoughts on the Ajahs, Kalyan stretched his legs out in front of him again, settling in to listen to her answer his question. He found the shake of her head confusing. Why wouldn't she want to go home? he wondered to himself, remembering that she'd said earlier that she'd never wanted to leave. A small frown grew as he thought about it, listening to what Dianlinn told him without really understanding. To Kalyan, the way she'd been sent here with no consideration of what she might want seemed terribly cruel.

She seemed so accepting of it that Kalyan reasoned it was yet another cultural difference, one so foreign to him that he couldn't quite seem to grasp it. He shook his head, blinking at her, and said hesitantly, "Is that...usual among the Aiel, to be sent away and not allowed to return? I'm trying to understand, but it's nothing like that here." He looked down at the grass beneath him and reached out to lay a hand on top of it. "Sorry you can't go back," he told her. "Life here must seem very strange to you."

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » December 9th, 2019, 10:30 am

Dianlinn listened as he spoke of his life before he had come here, and that the capital of Andor being more interesting than his little orchard. "I would not find an orchard uninteresting." She told him, "I would like to see an orchard one day, to see suck moist fruit hanging there." She added, and then gave him a small smile. "Maybe when I am Gaidin and you are Asha'man, you would take me to see it?" She asked him, hoping he said yes.

She could see that he did not understand, but then why should he? This was not the Threefold Land, and he was not Aiel. Why would understand the toh they owed the Aes Sedai, or that duty was their life? When he asked about it being usual to be sent away, she tilted her head to the side. "Sometimes, some others have been sent here, to study with the Aes Sedai, and some are sent to other places. It is not for us to question the Wise Ones." She told him, as she watched him looking down at the grass. His words then were strange, and she nodded her head to him. "Thank you. It is, but I have to learn if I am going to be of any use to the Aes Sedai and Asha'men." She told him, thinking it best to change the topic.

"What have you found to be enjoyable since you came here?"
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » December 10th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Kalyan
Kalyan twisted a blade of grass between his fingers, listening to Dianlinn while she spoke. When she suggested that he take her to see his family's orchard, he raised his head and stared at her with wide, surprised eyes. Why would she want to see the orchard? Having grown up there, it was nothing remarkable to him, and he couldn't understand what about it appealed to the Aiel woman so. He shrugged and said,"It's really not much to look at. Just rows of trees almost as far as your eyes can see." He closed his eyes, remembering the neatly planted lines and the satisfaction of a good harvest, and when he opened them again said, "It will be years before I'm an Asha'man, you know. But if you still want to see it then, I'd be happy to take you there."

He smiled, liking the idea even if it wouldn't happen anytime soon, and stopped fiddling with the grass. Placing his hands on his knees, he looked at Dianlinn, wanting to demonstrate that he was listening. He still didn't understand the absolute control these Wise Ones seemed to have over her life and the lives of others, but he didn't question her any further. Instead, she had a question for him on a somewhat less serious topic.

"Well, we don't get much time to just have fun," he responded. "But when I can, I like to come out to the gardens. I enjoy looking at all the different plants, and how quiet and peaceful it can be. When I have to study I usually sit under one of the trees. And if I'm really lucky and have some time, I like to bring books from the library out here to read. I've never seen so many books in my life as there are here!"

Kalyan grinned at her and asked, "What about you, what do you enjoy doing? Is your schedule as busy as ours? I don't know much about what Gaidin in training do. We're not really supposed to be anywhere near the training yards unless we have lessons there."

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » January 2nd, 2020, 7:19 pm

Dianlinn watched him as his fingers played with the grass below them, so nonchalantly as if it was nothing to him. But then growing up in the Wetlands something like grass would be nothing to him. She wondered what it would be like, what she would be like if she had grown up here and not in the Three-fold Land. Would she want to wear silks and dresses, and have silky soft skin? The idea made her smile to herself, and she shook her head to clear such thoughts. She would never be one of those girls that she saw wearing Novice Whites, the kind of girl that men watched. But then that was a good thing, to her mind, as the idea of a man touching her still made her stomach clench and a cold chill roll down her spine. Maybe it would change one day. Maybe.

When he mentioned it being years before he was trained and allowed out of the Tower, she nodded her head. For her it would be when she was trained, and if she was Bonded if her Bondmate allowed such a visit. So many ifs. “Then we shall see what the future holds for us, Kalyan Rihera.” She told him, with a small wry smile. If the Creator was kind, she would see it, if not, then she wouldnt. But she had a feeling she was to see many wonders before the dream ended and she woke.

She asked him what he did for fun here, and while she did not expect it to be her kind of fun, she had an idea it would be better than what she had been doing. “We do not have much time either,” she said to him, sure that the Recruits were trained as hard if not harder than the channelers. At the mention of books her eyes grew large. “Can anyone use this Library?” She asked, her green eyes almost glowing at the thought. “Books were prized in the Three-Fold Land, and were passed from Hold to Hold so all may read them.” She told him, “No one really owned the books there, all the knowledge or stories in them belonged to all.” She had no idea if it was the same way here.

His own questions made her nod her head. “Yes, we are worked as hard as you, I would guess. But I do not know for sure.” She told him, “But I come out here to see the different plants, ones that grow without a purpose.” She shrugged, “But I would like to see the Library. And know if I may read books from there.” She paused, “I do like to play cards, and stones too.”
Image Image Image

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » January 5th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Kalyan
That Dianlinn also liked to read was not something Kalyan had expected, but the surprise was not unwelcome. It made him smile as he listened to her. "I haven't played cards very often," he told her, "but my da and I used to play stones sometimes before the girls were born. We had to stop when they started walking though, because any piece dropped on the floor would end up in one of their mouths. Not very safe. I didn't mind though, I always liked reading better than anything else."

His mind drifted off then to her earlier question about the Tower's library. It wasn't one to which he had a certain answer. Soldiers used it all the time, and he'd seen plenty of white-dressed novices there too, but if he'd ever seen a Drin on any of his multiple visits, Kalyan couldn't remember. He tilted his head, thinking about it, but gave up before much time had passed. Sitting up straight, Kalyan looked at Dianlinn and said, "I don't know if Drin are allowed to borrow books from the library. I was trying to remember if I'd ever seen one there, but I don't think I have." He frowned as he added, "I don't know why you wouldn't be allowed though, it wouldn't really be fair. Besides, the Tower library has so many books that it surely has some on battles and fighting that could be useful to you."

He leaned forward and said quietly, "If you do find out you can't borrow books , I can always just get them for you." Kalyan hoped that wouldn't be the case. He disliked the thought of anyone else living here and not having access to something as wonderful as the library. Thinking about it made his smile disappear and his expression turn more serious than was typical for him.

To distract himself from that unpleasant thought, he asked, "So what do you like to read most? Do you have any favorite books?" The simple change in the conversation to a subject he enjoyed brought Kalyan's smile back as quickly as it had faded earlier.

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik