A Lunch To Share

A place for the Learning Ranks to socialize and mingle.
Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"
PC: Tamora el'Galina (Aes Seadi)
SC: Talithia (Accepted)
TC: Dianlinn (Ji'val)

A Lunch To Share

Post by Lou » October 2nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

It was a bright day, if not a little chilly as Tala moved through the gardens, towards a specific place. She had found the place in the gardens the day before, and she wanted to return there for a little while, just enough time to eat her lunch and read some of the book that she had been given. Looking down at the basket over her arm, she smiled as she knew what awaited her inside. It had been a while since she had eaten something that she had made, and after all the bland food she had been eating since she had arrived, her mouth was practically watering at the thought of eating something so lovely. Good food, a good book and the warm sun, just what I need. She was glad that she had two hours free today, where she could enjoy all three aspects of what she could have.

Being sent to the kitchens to work had been a saving grace here, which was odd as so many of her Novices saw it as a chore. She had been sent to wash dishes and scrub pots, which she did not mind as she had done her fare share in the Camp all her life. It’s not a chore when it has to be done. On her third session in the kitchens she had seen one of the under-cooks making some sweet meat rolls and some honeycakes in the corner. She had watched the girl, not much older than herself, and after a few minutes she knew the girl would be making some of the worst cakes and sweet rolls ever to be baked. How can she mess up such simple recipes? The thought had driven her to go over and begin to whisper the girl some hints to rescue her food, which the girl seemed to take offence to.

It was not until she had started to shout at Tala, telling her to mind her place that they had brought the attention of the Mistress of the Kitchens over. She was a fearsome woman, big and imposing, and used to her orders being followed to the letter. Tala felt so small and insignificant before the woman, like she was facing down an Aes Sedai. The woman demanded to know what the fuss was about, and between the kitchen girls rash words and Tala’s own defensive ones, the Mistress looked amused and asked the girl what she was using to make the sweets. After the girls boasting, she then asked Tala what she had said to the girl, and Tala repeated what she had told the girl, what ingredients she would have added. The Mistress nodded and after ordering the kitchen girl to continue scrubbing Tala’s pots, she asked Tala to take over the preparing of the sweets for the Aes Sedai’s afternoon tea’s.

That was how Tala spent her time in the kitchens now, not scrubbing or cleaning, but baking and creating all kinds of food stuffs. And that was where she had been this morning. She had been in the kitchens for the last two hours, and had baked a batch of all butter scones, and some honeycakes with sprinkled nuts on top. As she left, the Mistress had pressed a small basket into her hands, and inside was two of her honeycakes, two pork and apple rolls, and some fresh milk. And I cannot wait to taste them especially as I have the perfect place to sit and eat them!

Looking up she saw she had arrived, and smiled as she looked around. It was a small clearing, with wild roses to the left, and tall line of olive trees o the right. The smell was divine, and she sat down in a shady spot, and pressed her back to one of the trees. So busy laying out her lunch, milk and getting her book, The History of the White Tower, prepared, that she did not see the figure approach. When she did, she looked up and smiled.
Image Image Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"
PC: Dreyric Briouse

Re: A Lunch To Share

Post by -RJ- » November 17th, 2019, 2:34 am

It was a little brisk today, but that was fine with Dreyric, it was certainly better than blistering heat. He didn't have a very long break, his teachers seemed to be taskmasters, but he figured he had a hour at least, which was plenty of time to eat and to do some plant research. He hadn't taken time since he had arrived here to be able to tell if the plants at the Grey Tower would respond to him the same way he could get plants to respond at home, but he had been thinking about it the past few days, and he thought the gardens would be a good place to test this. It probably didn't matter either way, but nonetheless, he wanted to know.

The auburn haired young man stepped into the gardens, trying to decide upon which plant he would carry his experiment upon. Perhaps one that looked like it was struggling. His eyes swept the area and he moved a little more into the area, and it was at that time that a very succulent odor came to his nose. It didn't help that he was famished! He was beginning to think he'd done this in the wrong order. He should have probably ate and then looked for plants that might need his help. However, now he was so curious as to what the source of this delicious smell was that he was going to need to seek it out for his curiousity to be properly satisfied.

Dryric proceeded to follow his nose until he came to a clearing in the garden he hadn't even known was here. It was quite picturesque really, and a fine place to spend a few quiet moments, if a person had any. He hadn't really been able to get many of those lately, though he hadn't been actively looking for them either. He walked along, not bothering to be quiet. He didn't want whoever may possess what smelled so good to be startled by him if he snuck up on them.

It did not seem to Dreyric as if this would be a problem though, as soon the girl with the basket looked up and smiled at him. This surprised him, as he was used to a bit of a different response from women that he knew. It made him forget for a moment to be exuberant and he smiled right back in almost a sheepish manner. "Good day!" He said after a pause, as he did not care to stand there and stare as if he'd forgotten completely how to communicate.

"I've probably interrupted your lunch, from the smell of things, but I had to seek you out to ask just where you got that lunch! It smells wonderful!" He said, peering down at her, and as if it was an afterthought, he attempted to run a hand through his hair and make it appear just a little less messy than it was, though the attempt was unsuccessful.
Image Image

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » November 18th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Tala looked up with her custom smile, she usually greeted people as such, unless they caught her in a more low feeling moment, which she usually tried to hide and have in private. She didn't want people to see her cry, she missed her family, and hated that she had been cast out, but alas, there was little she could do now. She simply had to live day to day, and took what came her way. And what came her way was a man in the Blacks of a Soldier.

"Good afternoon," She said with her smile, her green eyes bright as she looked at the man before her. She let her eyes roam up his form, taking in the well pressed uniform, and his dark hair and slightly tilted eyes. He was handsome, and no mistake, and she was surprised to not see a trail of Novices following him. They usually did at lunch times when they could almost freely mingle.

As he spoke of her lunch smelling wonderful, she beamed a smile at him, before she waved a hand for him to come and join her. "If you are hungry then I have enough to share." She told him, already making sure to cut everything in half. "Working in kitchen, I impressed the Mistress of the Kitchens, and she let's me keep a couple of things for my lunch, as long as I don't eat in front of the other Novices." She told him, her voice lowering, as if she was imparting a secret.

"You won't tell the others will you?" She then said, worried she had said to much to the Saldean man. "Oh, I'm Talaitha, by the way."
Image Image Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » November 20th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Dreyric found himself hoping that this dark haired young woman with an eye color that reminded him very pleasantly of springtime in a forest might offer him at least a bite of what she had. He in no way expected it though and even though a part of him was very tempted to ask if she could do that, he attempted to hold back that urge at least for now, as he reminded himself he was not at home anymore and there was a good chance that this young lady did not want to share her lunch, so for the moment, he did not mention what was on his mind, though he could not quell the hopeful look in his eyes, that was beyond his control.

He was a friendly looking young man, with a smile that reached his own dark green eyes and an open sort of air about him that spoke of his willingness and happiness about meeting new people. "Yes, it is very much a good afternoon!" He said as he looked down at her, his head angling a little to the side as he allowed himself a bit of a closer look at her now that she knew he was there and would not be surprised by his sudden presence.

"You do?" He asked, his smile getting a little more pronounced for a moment and he inwardly cheered for a moment as he watched her hand lift to gesture for him to join her. "Oh, I'm usually hungry, so that's not a problem." He said with a chuckle, noticing the way she cut everything in half. He crouched down to the ground before moving to sit upon the ground a few feet from her, crossing his legs and smoothing out his dark black slacks as he did so.

She then proceeded to tell him how it was that she came about such wonderful food and he looked a little stunned. "You impressed her? You must have a mighty talent to have been able to do that." He said, trying to lower his voice too, but it was a touch more difficult to him as he was used to talking quite loud, not because he liked to shout, but sometimes it seemed that way because of his expressive nature. "Your secret is safe with me." He vowed, putting a hand across his chest as if pledging that this was the truth.

"I'm Dreyric. It's a pleasure to meet you, Talaitha." He responded, his eyes seeming almost to shine with the honesty of that statement for a moment. "Whereabouts do you hail from?" He wondered, eyes dropping to the food as he reached slowly for a scone.
Image Image

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » November 21st, 2019, 7:46 pm

He was a friendly looking young man, and not at all like some of the Soldiers and Dedicated she shared classes with and had seen around the Tower. She knew (or had been taught) that men had seize saidin which had a way of making them harder than their female counterparts. She could understand that much, but that seizing seemed to change something in them, if the Asha'men were anything to go by. Some were still nice, but some were hard, the hard look in their eyes scared her at times, in a different way to the look in the Aes Sedai's eyes. But none of that had seemed to have touched Dreyric yet, if his easy smile and forest green eyes were anything to go by.

She chuckled a little as he spoke of always being hungry,and she nodded her head. She was not surprised, Ryain had always been hungry, and somehow thinking of him made her sad all over again. She had thought she loved him, but she had been wrong. Or maybe she had been right? She could hardly tell anymore. "Well, if I ate all this I would certainly have a grumbly stomach, so you will be doing me a favour." She told him, wanting him to feel good about having half of what she was having, as she began to split everything equally.

Once he was seated, she let him begin to tuck in as she told him about how she had come by such a tasty feast, and he promised not to tell anyone which made her giggle. "Thank you, kind Soldier." She told him, and took a bite of the still warm roll. She looked to him as he introduced himself, though he then asked her where she was from. That was usually where the problems started. No one ever could y
look past her life before the Tower.

"I was one of the Tutha'an." She left it as that, looking at him through her dark lashes, waiting for the look of repulse. "Yourself?"
Image Image Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » November 24th, 2019, 6:51 pm

He did hope she just wasn't being nice and he was actually stealing half of her lunch. He wondered if he should ask her that, but she had seemed quite willing to share with him, so he hadn't decided to make a point of asking. Then she mentioned that he would be doing her a favor. He nodded a little at this, his smile never dimming. She seemed to be a thoughtful sort, he guessed, when she said that, as she wouldn't have had to say that, and he still thought her offer was a little unusual. Was it out of the norm here? Well, that he wasn't sure of. This place was still new to him and he was learning how it was.

He picked up the scone he'd been reaching for and bit into it with vigor. He chewed it slowly and his eyes seemed to dance a little. "It's as delicious as it smells!" He told her, leaning back a little as he just enjoyed the taste of it. Then she thanked him when really, he should be thanking her. He did not expect that he would come by such a treat today, it seemed as though it was his lucky day. "I feel you deserve the thanks, but you are very welcome nonetheless. Do you enjoy cooking?" He asked her now, and he had finished the scone. He merrily reached for a pork roll, throwing it an interested gaze.

He paused as his question was answered, and a look of surprise shifted over his features. He didn't look disgusted or disappointed though, one might notice, and his eyes took on a curious sheen as he chewed thoughtfully on his pork roll now, delighting in the savory flavors of that.

"Really? It seems you're full of surprises, Talaitha." He responded with a slight smile. That information made him want to ask her more questions, about how one of her people had ended up here, but he didn't know if he should pry, especially since she seemed not exactly proud of what he was saying. He wasn't sure about that, he never could claim to understand women, but that would be what he would guess if he had to guess. "I'm from Saldaea, myself." He told her, his smile broadening then.
Image Image

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » November 28th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Tala watched as the Soldier began to eat, and she could not help but smile. It gave her pleasure to see people enjoying her cooking, and it had been something she had been good at since she was a girl. She had always helped prepare dinner when she had been with her Fathers band, and then in the Tavern, before the evening rush and then she was expected to be out, front and centre in the barroom, serving and having her bottom pinched for the delight of his patrons. But those days were over, and maybe when she was a full Aes Sedai she may go there and make him pander to her every whim. Or was that a misuse of her station?

"I do like seeing people enjoy my food, it gives me a sense of achievement." She told him, feeling silly for saying it, but it was the truth. "I love cooking, always have. I would help my Mother over the camp fire, and more than once we have others come t join us and eat our meals because they liked them, though I think that was more for my Mothers cooking than mine." She directed a smile at him, as she reached for her own sweet scone, chewing slowly as she savoured the buttery taste.

She was both surprised and delighted that he did not seemed disgusted or amused by her previous life, as many did here. She was getting used to the taunts slowly, but then it was nothing new to her, she had heard them almost every time they had stopped near a village. But when he told her that she was full of surprises, she could not help but blush and she giggled a little, covering her mouth. "Not really, I am as you find me." She told him with that shy smile, before he told her he was from Saldea.

"I love Saldea. We travelled through the lower parts of your Nation when I was about ten. Your ice peppers are amazing, though very hot." She told him, wiping crumbs from her dress. "Do you mind me asking about your life before, or how you ended up here?" She said tentatively, knowing not everyone liked to as they all had different experiences and reasons for being here.
Image Image Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » November 30th, 2019, 11:40 pm

It wasn't that often in his life that he'd been able to get a girl to smile at him like that, and he wouldn't deny that it was a welcome sight. He finished the pork roll, taking his time with it because he didn't want the experience to end. However, it was gone faster than he would have liked, so then he picked up the apple roll and took a small bite out of that. "This is so much better then what they have been giving us, which is very edible, but this really is no comparison!" He said happily, and he felt that was the truth, but he also wanted to continue to see her smile, so it didn't hurt to compliment her as well, he thought. He slowly nibbled on the roll as he ventured, "So I would guess that you must have at least some experience cooking to be able to produce marvels like these?" He hoped he wasn't being too prying, but he trusted that he would get some kind of cue if he was.

As he enjoyed the apple roll, Talaitha began to speak about how it made her feel when others enjoyed her food. He didn't really know how to cook himself, having always left that task to his mother and other female relatives. She told him a little story about her past, and he nodded, and then said, "Well, maybe but you were learning too, as your current end results show." He said, smiling a little himself still, watching as she now sampled one of the scones. "I couldn't cook if my life depended on it, but I've felt that way before when I've helped my father finish a piece of furniture." He shared now.

When she giggled and blushed like that, he couldn't help but lean forward and attempt to tap her a little on her free hand with his free hand, finding it charming that she had reacted in that way. He leaned back then, whatever he was able to touch her hand or not and he said, "Well, I wouldn't have guessed that you were a former Tinker, but I suppose it takes all kinds!" He said then, sounding pleased that he had been taken by surprise by this information.

He plucked up a honeycake when the apple roll was finished and he nodded at what she said. "We use them in a lot of savory dishes, it's something I've missed since I left home, actually." He said, and then he shook his head. "Not at all, I'm pretty open about myself." He told her and that was the truth, he enjoyed talking to those that were willing to listen if he was in the right mood. "To paraphrase it, I was the son of a farmer, and I got in a fight with an unpleasant person that insisted I was a thief. I got angry and hurled a fireball at him. Afterwards I wasn't really sure what happened and I couldn't do it again no matter how hard I tried, but it had been out in public, so everyone had seen it, and it frightened the townspeople. It happened one another time after that when I was fighting with one of my brothers and a traveler suggested I come here, that it could help me understand my abilities and get them under control, so.." He tossed the rest of the honeycake in his mouth, "Here I am."
Image Image

Lou
"The Fires of Heaven"

Post by Lou » January 1st, 2020, 5:47 pm

Tala could not help but smile as she watched Dreyric continue to tuck into her fare. She ate as well, but she liked to see people enjoying what she had made. It made her wonder if that was how her Mother felt when she invited people to their fire, watched them as they enjoyed her food. She could always remember her Mum sitting there fondly, watching with a smile on her face, but she maybe had not understood it until now. She smiled with a nod as he said she must have been learning at her Mothers hand, and she could not disagree. It made sense that was it. “You may be right,” she told him, “I am just glad you are enjoying it, and well, my skills earned me this lovely little meal in the first place.” She told him, picking at a crumb on her white dress.

When he claimed he could not cook to save his life, she tilted her head at him. “I bet that is not totally true, I would wager you know more than you think you do.” She told him, “I am sure I could teach you a few things in that regard if you ever wish to learn.” She offered him, sure that he would not. He would be an Asha’man after all, and they rarely run about making their own dinners.

He complimented her, and made her blush, a giggle escaping her lips as she did. She was sure he was not flirting, but it felt like he was, and she was sure she could quite easily begin to like him more than she should. And she knew what happened to girls who were caught with boys when they were a Novice, she had seen them expelled and more than a little humiliated. But still, she could daydream a little couldn’t she? She looked down at her hand as he tapped his to hers, and she felt a warm flush bloom inside of her. “And what would you have guessed Tinkers to look like, hmmm?”

She listened as he began to speak of himself, nibbling her own honeycake as he did. She liked that he was so open about himself, and not at all stuck up as some here were. She reached out a hand to touch the back of his as he mentioned hurling a fireball, and she felt sorry that the townspeople were now scared of him. “I am sorry,” she told him, then withdrew her hand quickly, not sure if she should have touched him at all. “The traveller was wise.” she told him, and finished her honeycake and dusted off her hands. “I never used the One Power before I was here, but they think it was not far off from it.” She said with a small shrug of her shoulders. She wondered if she should tell her story, tell of how she ended up outside of her Band, but she was going to have to be asked about that, it was not a memory she liked to re-live often.
Image Image Image

-RJ-
"The Great Hunt"

Post by -RJ- » January 11th, 2020, 10:38 pm

It didn't look as if Talaitha was offended by his comments, from what he could guess, so he felt some relief at that. He wouldn't want to be thought of as too pushy to someone that had been so kind and generous to him, if he could help it. "How many years have you been cooking?" He ventured to ask now when she announced that he might be right. He nodded then at this when she went on to speak about earning this little meal in the first place. He was quiet fo a moment, just enjoying what she'd shared with him.

Then she tilted her head and shared her viewpoint about his possible cooking skills and sweetly said that he perhaps knew more than he thought he did. He arched his eyebrows slightly when offered to teach him a couple of things if he ever desired to learn about cooking. "If I ever have time, sure! I believe it is wise to learn as much as one can about sustaining's one self if possible. "I'll definitely keep that offer in mind." He said with one of those bright smiles of his, seeming happy that she had offered to give him a few pointers in cooking.

That was a fair question for her to ask after he had opened his mouth and said something like that, and he leaned back, thinking about how to possibly answer such a question. "Well, to be honest, I've never met a Tinker before, so I wouldn't be sure what one looks like, but.. just not like you." He said and laughed aloud at his own words as he shook his head. "Not the most descriptive of answers I know, but it's really something I have never thought about very much! He looked thoughtful and added, "I guess it's maybe the Novice dress, if you were instead dressed in what you like to wear,maybe it would be more obvious? Though I couldn't be sure unless I saw it." He mused now.

He peered down when the back of his hand was touched and he sent her an appreciative look after she had taken her hand away. "No need to be sorry! The pattern must have been set up that way so I'd end up here." He said, nodding about the traveler now. He finished the honeycake and glanced at her curiously. "So, if you don't mind me asking, how was it that you ended up here, Talaitha?"
Last edited by -RJ- on February 18th, 2020, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik