Looking for Trouble (attn: Bella)

The World outside the Grey Tower is a vast place.
Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"
PC: Liaran Sedai, Blue Ajah
SC: Amaranie Sedai, Indigo Ajah
TC: Kalyan Rihera, Yellow Ajah

Re: Looking for Trouble (attn: Bella)

Post by Alianora » June 13th, 2019, 12:29 am

Liaran Sedai
"....And I just can't see a couple little kids sleeping through all that!"

Liaran listened in on the conversation going on behind her without feeling the slightest trace of guilt about it. After all, the two men weren't even trying to keep their conversation quiet; she could easily overhear them whether she wanted to or not. Her eyes looked forward, watching the line move in front of her, but her ears stayed open. The line wasn't short, but it moved quickly, and to her disappointment, she hadn't learned much more from the two men, who had begun grumbling at each other over whether it was possible for two children to sleep right through the sounds of a murder taking place. Liaran, of course, gave no indication that she was listening, but observed to herself how easy that would be for Nykkolaia to accomplish. All she'd need was a simple weave of Spirit, and it definitely sounded like something the other woman would do, as protective as she was of children. That troubled her, though nobody other than Haeden would have been able to notice.

When her turn came, the Aes Sedai smiled politely at the innkeeper, a rather round, white haired woman, and after paying for their rooms, asked whether there had been an orphanage built recently. The woman blinked up at her, shrugging her shoulders.

"There's been a lot of new buildings recently...I couldn't begin to name them all, though I think I recall hearing about an orphanage somewhere in town." The woman turned her head away from Liaran, looking towards the door. "There's a rather large building at the opposite end of this street, that might be an orphanage, and another....maybe four streets over? I'm just not sure where one might be."

Liaran nodded, the smile still on her face. "That's fine, thank you," she said. "I'll just have to visit both." While having some ideas did help, Liaran had really hoped for a more definite location, but she kept that disappointment carefully hidden as she turned and left the inn to rejoin Haeden.

Her Warder was right where she'd known he'd be, standing by the horses, but the young girl talking to him while petting Seawind's nose was a surprise. As she approached Haeden's side, Liaran could hear the girl speaking of something that sounded awfully familiar.

"They didn't even wake up, if you can believe it."

It was clear that the two men she'd been listening to were not the only ones eager to talk about what had happened. Liaran moved beside Haeden, paying careful attention to what the girl had to say.

"Don't know how those kids stayed asleep...I mean, I heard she was stabbed, some stuff broken....you'd think that would have been pretty loud."

"It's probably for the best that they slept through it," Liaran commented. The girl looked towards her, still stroking Seawind's nose, and nodded once.

"Just hope they find that scarred lady," she said. "Nobody's real upset about Missus Willow, but still...hate to think there's a killer loose here." The girl gave the horse's nose one last pat before turning away.

"She'll be found eventually," Liaran said. Her voice was calm and even, concealing how strongly she felt that Nykkolaia had to be found, and her own commitment to seeing that done. She smiled in an attempt to distract the girl from the unpleasant subject and asked, "Before you leave, I've been told there's a newly built orphanage here, do you know where it is?"

Bella
Female Channeller Representative
PC: Miahala Darrow Sedai
SC: Lysira Viathene Gaidin
TC: Gareth Tomosan Asha'man
QC: Natlya Cade Gaidin
QC: Andraste Alhandra Sedai

Post by Bella » June 16th, 2019, 3:39 pm

The girl turned her attention to the woman who just walked out and looked a little concerned, at first, that she might get in trouble for petting the horse since it was obviously this woman's, but she was relieved when she didn't. Instead, she listened to the question and smiled, nodding eagerly. "Oh yes, ma'am. There's a big place goin' up over across town. I can show ya, if you like?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » June 16th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Liaran Sedai

To Liaran, accepting the girl's offer sounded like a fine idea, but hers was not the only opinion she took into account. She looked up at Haeden, but her Warder said nothing, and more importantly, the bond didn't carry any suggestion of reluctance from him. She paused for a few moments, just to be sure, then turned her attention back to the girl. "If you don't mind, we'd appreciate it," Liaran told her.

The girl had said the place was across town, and Harmon was large enough that Liaran decided it would be best if they rode. Considering what she'd learned since their arrival, and what she'd caught of Haeden speaking with the girl, Liaran thought there was a decent chance that Nykkolaia could yet be found somewhere in the city. If that was so, she wasn't willing to take the extra time walking would require.

Taking the reins from Haeden, the Aes Sedai hauled herself into Seawind's saddle, and once all three of them were ready, let the girl lead the way. With no horse, the girl had to walk, but she was quick about it, easily keeping slightly ahead of them. Liaran kept Seawind at a steady pace as they took several turns through the streets. They seemed to have been laid with more attention to speed than actual planning, and as they rode, Liaran came to understand why the innkeeper had had difficulty giving her proper directions.

After yet another turn, a tall, wide building came into view near the end of the street, and Liaran guessed that it was likely where the girl would be taking them. With a careful knee to Seawind's side, she directed Seawind to step closer to Haeden's horse. She leaned towards him as far as she could, though that wasn't very far, and whispered, "I'm not sure what she told you, but while I was inside, I overheard two men talking about a murder in town.....and the description of the suspect is one we've heard before." The girl shouldn't be able to make sense of that if she somehow heard Liaran, but the Aes Sedai knew that Haeden could. She was beginning to feel a little nervous as they approached, and did her best to ignore it, allowing herself no outward display of her emotions.

Bella

Post by Bella » June 20th, 2019, 7:55 pm

"I heard the same," Haeden replied, his voice equally low and words equally enigmatic to anyone but Liaran.

The young girl continued walking ahead of them, leading the way blissfully unaware of the dark importance of the conversation taking place just behind and over her head. And where they were headed was as she'd told them. It was a large building, so nondescript as to be almost painfully and clearly with parts still under construction, sitting right at the end of the street.

Once they got closer, the girl stopped and turned back to them. "I need to go home now before my ma starts to worry, but you know where you're going now. The kids playing out front make it pretty obvious." She smiled. "It's run by a real pretty lady named Miss de Scall. No one knows why she works here instead of getting married, but that's another thing.

"Good luck with whatever you're doing!" she said brightly before bounding back down the lane.

Haeden watched her over his shoulder for a moment, smiling ruefully as he remembered being that young but by her age, he'd lost all that vibrancy. He turned back to Liaran. "Shall we go meet Miss de Scall, then?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » June 21st, 2019, 10:24 pm

Liaran Sedai
Liaran thanked the girl, then turned back to her Warder with a nod. Only a few buildings separated them from the one the girl had pointed out, and it wasn't long before they arrived. Happy shrieks from the children outside rang through the front yard, making it obvious that they were where they needed to be. Liaran smiled at the sight as she climbed from the saddle and tied Seawind's reins securely to a post. Once the horse was taken care of, the Aes Sedai walked to the front door and knocked.

A brown haired young woman in a plain dress looked out when it opened, holding a cleaning rag in her hand. "Can I help you?"

"I hope so," Liaran said. "We're looking for a Miss de Scall; I've been told she owns the orphanage, and we'd like to speak to her if she has the time."

The woman nodded and pulled the door open wider. "I'll have to check first, but I think she's available. You can come inside to wait if you like, I shouldn't be long."

"I would like that, thank you," Liaran told her, stepping inside. The door opened into a long hallway, lined by doors on either side and brightly lit by the large windows at each end. Directly by the entrance were a pair of couches, nothing fancy, but nice enough, and Liaran settled herself on one to wait. The art hanging on the walls looked unusual to her, and when she turned in her seat to look at the piece above her, Liaran realized that it was a picture drawn by one of the children, and that the rest probably were as well. It made the hallway appear more like a home, welcoming both visitors like herself and Haeden, and the children who lived here. She couldn't stop herself from observing that it seemed like exactly the sort of place that would attract Nykkolaia.

Bella

Post by Bella » June 29th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Miss Elyssa de Scall All that Elyssa had been told was that "a lady and a gentleman" were here to see her, with the addition that "the gentleman" was rather intimidating. She had no idea what to expect, nor why they could be here. Maybe they were looking to adopt? Although distinguished persons never came here directly for that...

Cairheinin by birth, Elyssa was short, slender, and pale with large, dark eyes. Her dress, of course, was modern but modest Andoran fashion, the sort worn by a woman who worked with young children and babies all day.

She checked that her hair was at least in order and there weren't any ghastly stains on her dress before she hurried out of her office, scurrying down the hallway with her nerves feeling just a little frayed. Her office being close to the door, she saw the pair after just a few moments, and she came up to them.

"I'm Elyssa de Scall," she introduced herself with an uncertain smile. "I was told you wished to see me?"

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » June 30th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Liaran Sedai
The sound of shuffling feet caught Liaran's attention, and the Aes Sedai turned away from the pictures behind her to see a small, pretty woman rapidly approaching. She rose from her seat just as the woman reached them and introduced herself. She seemed nervous, so the smile Liaran gave her was warm and intended to be comforting.

"Thank you for taking the time to see us," Liaran said. "I'm Liaran Sedai," and with a nod towards Haeden, "and this is my Warder, Haeden Gaidin." She looked into the woman's eyes, concerned that the use of their titles wouild do nothing to make Miss de Scall feel more at ease around them and wishing it weren't necessary.

The other woman nodded, and she looked from Liaran to Haeden and back again, regarding them both with her large, dark eyes. "Would you mind following me to my office?"

Liaran was still smiling when she answered. "Yes, that will be fine," she said. After a very short walk, Miss de Scall opened one of the doors lining the hallway and disappeared behind it. Liaran caught the door as it swung, holding it open for Haeden before closing it quietly.

Miss de Scall had seated herself in a wooden chair behind a small desk with two similar chairs in front of it. Once they were all settled, the woman turned her head slightly towards Liaran.

"I'm not sure how I can possibly help one such as yourself, Aes Sedai," she said quietly.

Liaran studied the woman, and explained what she needed with the calm, gentle voice she often used with the newest of novices.

"I'm trying to find another Aes Sedai," she began, " and I have reason to believe she might be employed here, or perhaps used to be."

Miss de Scall was shaking her head before Liaran had even finished speaking. "I've never had any Aes Sedai working here."

"It's possible that she could have been hiding that from you," Liaran admitted. "If she was ever here, I think she would have been doing what she could to blend in." She went on, doing the best she could to describe the other Blue, though it had been years since Liaran had last seen her. "She's blonde with light eyes, about as tall as I am. She may have distinctive scarring over part of her face. Her name is Nykkolaia, but she may be calling herself by another name. Do you know of anyone who at least fits that general description?"

Bella

Post by Bella » July 3rd, 2019, 12:41 am

Miss Elyssa de Scall An Aes Sedai?! Here?!

Elyssa nearly passed out when the woman introduced them. She had never had cause to meet an Aes Sedai in person before, and certainly not--once the question was explained--to employ one! Imagine! Employing an Aes Sedai. The idea alone was enough to keep her feeling faint and unsteady.

Still, once sitting, that helped. She managed to keep a calm expression as she listened, but the description drew her away from her reaction enough to frown. "Yes... Nykk..." she said with a new sort of unease.

"She never introduced herself as an Aes Sedai, but she had terrible scarring all up the left-side of her face." At that, she saw the Aes Sedai and Gaidin exchange a knowing look. "She... She helped out with the children. Some were scared at first, but they warmed up. She was a big help." Elyssa's dark eyes widened. "Why are you looking for her?"

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, she realized what she had done and gasped. "Oh! Begging pardon, Aes S-Sedai. That was impertinent."

Alianora
"The Path of Daggers"

Post by Alianora » July 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Liaran Sedai
"It's fine, I don't mind that you asked," Liaran said, rushing to reassure the other woman. Miss de Scall was clearly uncomfortable around them, and the Aes Sedai had the sinking feeling that there was nothing either she or Haeden could say or do that would help that. She was sure she could feel the woman's dark eyes following her as she looked briefly down, pulling each sleeve over her hands until even her fingers were covered. The last thing she wanted was to risk startling her further with the unusual sight of the stars and waves on the backs of her hands.

She didn't say anything else immediately, and neither did Haeden. Telling the entire truth of what they wanted with Nykkolaia was completely impossible. Light, but if I did, she might just faint from fright! Liaran was determined not to be the cause of that. She thought carefully about her response, settling on one that was true enough to satisfy the Oaths, while omitting any details that might upset the woman across from her.

"My Warder and I have been traveling and working in this region," Liaran explained in the same calm voice she'd used earlier. "I'd heard that Nykkolaia is in the area often and knows it well, so I was hoping that if we could reach her, she might be able to answer a few questions for us." The Aes Sedai paused for a moment, giving Miss de Scall a polite smile before continuing, "You said Nykkolaia was a big help....is she still here, or has she left already?" She suspected that they were once again too late, and while that was not much of a surprise, it was definitely a disappointment.[/rpbody[/i]

Bella

Post by Bella » July 13th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Miss Elyssa de Scall The young mistress of the orphanage swung her gaze from one to the other. Something suggested there was much more to that story than they said, but she immediately chastised herself for doubting the words of an Aes Sedai. Her mother had always said her impertinence would get her into trouble one day, but she doubted even her mother had thought of this as that trouble!

"W-well, she was just here yesterday," Elyssa said with a slight stammer. "I suppose I can't be sure where she is now, but she said she would be back tonight to help put the children to bed. That's the hardest part of the day, as you...perhaps...can imagine?" she finished that sentence with uncertainty, suddenly doubting how much experience they might have.

"Yes, I have a younger brother," the young man--the Gaidin--spoke at last. He offered her a small smile, but it seemed sincere and put her a tiny bit more at ease. "I would watch him for my mother at times, and getting him to sleep was always trouble. And that was only one little boy, when you have so many here."

She returned a faint smile and nodded. "Yes, precisely," she said, grateful for his understanding and that she hadn't made another misstep with her thoughtless words. "You...could come back this evening? When she's due to arrive?"

meble kuchenne na wymiar cennik